302 swap manual? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 swap manual?

I was reading an old post and someone mentioned a manual descibing all the necisary changes to swap a 5L into a first gen. But the link they had was years old and no good.

Is anyone selling one and how much?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone?

there is no manual, Advance Adapter and James Duff both had a "guide" you could read that covers the basics, but every conversion is different so research is your best friend

There are COUNTLESS small block ford V8 conversions into Rangers/Explorer's online, a few very good ones on this site!

You need to start with a few basic questions
What transfer case am I going to use?
What transmission will work with that t case and with my truck/needs?
What V8 will bolt to that transmission and what computer will work with the whole drivetrain?

This will determine what you need as far as parts.
Plan a budget and a time line, then DOUBLE IT

TAKE NOTES, take pictures, and know what you are getting into before you tear anything down

every time I search for v8 swap or v8 conversion or 302 swap or conversion it comes up with a thousand pages of people askin how much or what do I do blah blah.

I'm gonna do a 302 leanin towards Efi. Either a c4 c5 or aod. As for transfer case I don't know.

start at the t case work backward IMO

In my signature is my LONG thread I put a late model 5.0L drivetrain in my BII, which is identical to a gen I explorer in every way doors forward, except the explorer has a bit more room for a radiator.......

Don't know how I missed that in your sig.

I still can't decide on efi
Because I kinda like the look of those weber stacks (you knoe like one for each cylinder) like they had back in the day. And I know several manufacturers are making kits to convert carbed engine to throttle body efi that imitates the look of those stacks and I think that would definetley be unique to have those stikin out of the hood

but then again I plan on supercharging it so the stacks would be history.

Ok ive decided on efi so I can have obd2.

I'll be getting just an engine for now and building it up in the garage for a while as money comes along. Then the tranny and tcase.
But I must ask, what engine do you think I should get, one out of a mustang? V8 explorer?

Also since I have an a4ld I won't need an adapter or driveshaft modifications to fit an AOD will I?

And lastly I know nothing of the available transfer cases what do you suggest with the AOD?

I do VERY LIGHT wheeling now and then because it scratches up the paint and scratches drive me nuts but the snow can get bad here sometimes so what do you think?

Thanks guys.

I think you have alot of research to do.

The AOD is totally different from your A4LD, not even close, you will need an adapter to run your explorer transfer case if you want to keep it. The adapter itself is $550

The AOD has a few t case options, the AOD has a 27 spline output shaft and a 6 bolt pattern, there were several t cases used in F-150's and Bronco's behind the AOD & AOD-E.

ok I reread were I saw that and was mistaken

Back