302 v8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Schobanger

Reaction score
City, State
Fargo, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Sport
So on craigslist there is a 1990 F150 4x4 that is being parted out. the man selling said he just had the engine rebuilt and wants to sell seperately but wants to get offers for it. question 1.. would this fit in my explorer? #2 how much should i pay?? says 50k on it but runs strong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it would psychically fit, but there are way to many differences in it to make it work

Like what? I'm curious. It's interesting the differences of the same engine throughout the vehicles, Mustang, Crown Vic, F Series, Explorers..

The only things I can think of are exhaust, upper intake things like TB location and other various things like carb vs FI... oh probably the accessory layout. Yeah I could see how it could be a project... more hassle than getting a 5.0L from an explorer, which is already setup for it.

yeah, because im looking for more power. the 5.0L would be nice but just gotta find one :(

i dont think is has a spot for the crank trigger switch. i could be wrong however.

i dont think is has a spot for the crank trigger switch. i could be wrong however.

This.

Not to mention it has different heads, and is just not as robust as an Explorer GT-40 engine.

You can get a 5.0L from an explorer at a junkyard for a decent price, and while you're there you can pick up the rest of the drivetrain, and all sensors/electrical parts you'll need.

If I were you I'd look for a wrecked 99-01 5.0L and buy it as a whole unit and use it as a donor vehicle.

This.

If I were you I'd look for a wrecked 99-01 5.0L and buy it as a whole unit and use it as a donor vehicle.

which is exactly what i have done. it is easier that way because you have all the parts right there, and you know they work. if you have both trucks sitting side by side you can also compare the both to see what you would need to change.

Back