• Register Today It's free!

30k Mile Service Package

Fishrising

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
What do you guys think about the 30k mile service package that the Ford dealers offer? What do the costs typically run? One dealer told me around $250-$300, and little more if the brakes need work....If you were to do it yourself, how long would it take you?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

theres no way 200-300 is right. theres no way they can give you all the parts and the labor for that cheap - most ford dealerships shop rate is like $75/hour. i would shop it around if i were you. i just had my 30k service done at my usual mechanics shop, but it was a lot more than 300 only because i had a lot of extra work done.

good luck.

Sounds cheap to me too. Fuel filter alone runs a pretty penny. I'd also suggest having the tranny flushed at 30K instead of 50K. Ex trannys are notorious for crapping out, so a little extra TLC can't hurt.

Look in your maintenance guide and see what is required for the 30K servuce. Assuming that you have been keeping current with the maintenace so far, my '97 maintenance guide lists the following items under the severe duty schedule for 30K service:

1) Change engine oil and replace oil filter.
2) Replace air cleaner filter every 50,000 km (30,000 miles) or 36 months.
3) Inspect engine cooling system, hoses, and clamps; check coolant strength every 24,000 km (15,000 miles) or 12 months.
4) Change fuel filter (Recommended but not required for California Certified Vehicles).
5) Inspect and lubricate automatic transmission shift linkage.
6) Inspect disc brake system amd lubricate caliper slide rails.
7) Inspect drum brake systems, hoses and lines.
8) Inspect and lubricate front wheel bearings.
9) Inspect parking brake system for damage and operation.
10) Change transfer case oil (4x4).

For the price they are chargeing, it sounds like they are doing a lot more than what is called for in my manual. Either that or their labor rates are outragious.

30k service came to $433.56 (tax included).

From what I can tell on the receipt they did the following, plus I hope they inspected everything else:

1. Inspected and adjusted brakes.
2. Oil change and new filter.
3. Air filter (I took my K&N out and put the original in before dropping the "X" off because I was also having some warranty work done and I didn't want any problems)
4. Fuel filter.
5. VALVE ASY-CRAN (F5TZ-6A666-A) $4.60??????not sure.
6. Replaced Transmission Fluid
7. SCRN ASY-TRANS (XL2Z-7A098-DA) $28.88?????not sure.
8. GASKET ASY-TRA (F5TZ-7A191-A) $8.83?????not sure.

So basically they charged you $433.56 to change your oil, fuel filter, air filter and transmission fluid (and filter). Ouch! The screen and gasket would be your transmission filter and pan gasket. That's strange though, my gasket came with my filter. Ford must seperate them in parts though. What does your warranty information booklet say is the change interval for the fluid in your transmission? My 5-speed automatic is due every 51K under the severe duty schedule. I don't know what the valve thingy is. The brakes are self adjusting, but I would hope that during their cleaning they lubricated the caliper slide rails. Is yours 4 wheel drive? If it is the transfer case fluid should have been changed at the 30K. One advantage to paying the extremely high dealer prices is that they have a record that your service was done in case you need to have warranty work.

Back