335 and 565 codes -93 Cali explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

335 and 565 codes -93 Cali explorer

Watchman

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport-4WD
Hey guys I am pulling these two codes, 335 and 565. I checked the DPFE voltage at the top wire in KOEO and the voltage was 1.5V DC. I have EGR on this truck.

Please advise. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As you've noted, KOEO 335 points to a fault in the DPFE sensor circuit. As common as the DPFE fails on these, I would probably check the wires to the DPFE (it seems like there should be 3). If they look ok, then replace the DPFE.

KOEO 565 points to a break or short to ground in the cannister purge solenoid circuit. Should be easy enough to track down with a wiring diagram and a voltmeter.

The wires to the DPFE look ok. It is the original DPFE. After reading all the posts on aftermarket vs Motorcraft, I checked Rock Auto and they offer the Motorcraft for a fairly decent price. Is it better to go down this road, or go to local auto store and get aftermarket with lifetime warranty. Are these aftremarket DPFE's quality getting any better ?

On the 565 code, I cannot see where the solenoid is for the cannister ? The cannister itself has only rubber lines coming out of it. Is there a picture or drawing in my Haynes manual that shows where the solenoid circuit is ?

Thank you for your response MrShorty. I do have a volt meter.

Could be the evr..that ecm doesn't know which is bad so only throws a dpfe code which means could be either..also check the two lines going to the evr..typically moisture gets in and throws a code..

I tested the whole EGR system - DPFE, valve (egv ?) early last spring. However, the head gasket went a couple of months later and I had the heads shaved and during this repair I might have damaged something. When I tested the EGR valve (evr ? as you state above) the last time it was fine. The mpg is really bad now - 14-17 mpg on the hwy. Whereas it has always been 20-22.

FordEGRSystem_zpsdhcjzvyh.jpg

The evr and dpfe will throw same code..but it could be moisture in either or even a leak in the two lines or even the vacuum lines..

Thank you Mr Shorty - your diagram was great - I noticed right away that I had the hoses from the DPFE backwards. Must have happened when I put the top of the engine back together when I was doing the head gasket job.

I'll continue to diagnose and make sure no issues for each EGR component - I have a vacuum pump kit with a gage.

Thank you Mr Shorty - your diagram was great - I noticed right away that I had the hoses from the DPFE backwards. Must have happened when I put the top of the engine back together when I was doing the head gasket job.

I'll continue to diagnose and make sure no issues for each EGR component - I have a vacuum pump kit with a gage.

I think you meant me.lol but that was gonna be my next suggestion ;)

Ok - so the vacuum pump doesn't work - the vacuum ring is probably leaking - when I apply vacuum with the old DPFE and the new one - voltages go up for both and the engine runs rough for both with vacuum applied (I used a pc of hose and provided the vacuum myself)

By the way - thanks JD

On the 565 code, I cannot see where the solenoid is for the cannister ? The cannister itself has only rubber lines coming out of it. Is there a picture or drawing in my Haynes manual that shows where the solenoid circuit is ?
On my '92, the CANP solenoid was in the hoses where it was easy to get to. My understanding is that on the '94's and maybe '93's, Ford moved the CANP solenoid and attached to the underside of the throttle body, where it would be [sarcasm]as easy as possible[/sarcasm] to get to.

Thank you Mr Shorty - I found the issue - the plug harness into the solenoid was disconnected. Probably during the removal of the upper intake when I had a fuel leak on one of the injectors - 565 is now gone. Still have 335 - I believe it may have been the switched hoses in the DPFE.

How can I erase this code from ECU ? I pulled wire during code test as you have suggested - but this still comes up during code test ? Even without running engine.

You didn't specify in your OP if these were KOEO (as opposed to CM codes, both types are output during the KOEO test), but I've assumed they are. CM codes should clear by pulling the jumper. KOEO codes, because they are hard fault codes present at the time the test is performed, are not stored so they cannot be cleared. If the KOEO 335 continues to show up, it means the computer is still seeing a fault.

Also note that, because there is no engine vacuum or exhaust flow while the engine is off, a KOEO EGR code almost has to be something electrical.

They were KOEO codes. Yesterday picked up aftermarket DPFE with lifetime warranty. Today stopped by Advance Auto and returned defective vacuum pump. While I was there picked up a can of MAF cleaner. Also took the Ex to a good local exhaust shop and he found that my pass side exhaust manifold had a small leak - he could hear it with a hose. So, I came home tightened up all exh manifold bolts. Then cleaned MAF. Then installed new DPFE and then took a 3 mile drive and came home. You guys will like this - 335 code is now gone - now I have a 157 code - low voltage on MAF !! Ha Ha. Well - I'm going to wait and see if it clears - maybe...

Have you reset the ecm after doing all that??

Yes - Last night I did pull the wire during the test so that it cleared the ECM. I did not drive it today. Tonight I took about a 4 mile drive up to 55 mph, then ran the test and got this - 111 - small pause - 111 - long pause - 1 - long pause - 111 - small pause - 111. I thought I was good to go. Started up the truck to back it out and the CEL came right on. Then got 111-111--1--214-214.

I did not post this but when I started the testing, I got a 214 and the 335. So I visually checked wires at the CAMP (CAM shaft) or oil gear sensor and the CNKP (crankshaft) sensor and they looked fine. Then the 214 went away. Now it has come back. I just had the CAMP sensor changed back in March. I had a garage put it in. It was a Dorman. I'm hoping it is not the issue.

Are there some further tests I can do ? Engine runs smooth.... 157 and 335 codes are gone, but now I have the 214...

Ok - The 214 code is gone - I believe it is an intermittent issue that must have happened when I was working tightening up the pass side exh manifold bolts. There are some large elec harnesses that run thru this area. Need to be more careful.

So at this point no codes. Thanks for all the help.

Back