33's No Body Lift (Illegal In Maine) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

33's No Body Lift (Illegal In Maine)

oh by the way, are you going with ATs or MTs, there should be a good sized difference when it comes to clearance issues

MT I do alot of trail riding from april til the end of November and trails are always changing conditions in Maine ushaully muddy and rocks. Not much sand or anything So I run MT's.

Also The plan is a 10.5 - 12.5 if I cant find a used set of 10.5s

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 2 inches of lift and am sitting on 33/12.50r15. I only rub at full lock to the left. it will rub when you have some suspension travel but other than that it is fine. I will be doing a body lift sometime though. here are some pictures.

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

just for reference here is my truck with 2 inches of lift with 31/10.50r15
IMG_0322.jpg

I have a 2nd gen and did the twist and shackles with 32x11.5 and only the rear rubs alittle when i hit something going to fast other than that no trimming

i have been going to maine for 20+ years, have a house there we used to leave a nite bronco up there as a spare car, it was lifted big tires, just bring it to a local shop they will have no problem inspecting it, heck i actually used to bring it to the local ford dealer, the windows were black too and the guy used to just say roll em down if i cant see em you dont have it.

I want to live in Wyoming. :bsnicker: "Vehicle must simply be in "safe" working condition"

i have been going to maine for 20+ years, have a house there we used to leave a nite bronco up there as a spare car, it was lifted big tires, just bring it to a local shop they will have no problem inspecting it, heck i actually used to bring it to the local ford dealer, the windows were black too and the guy used to just say roll em down if i cant see em you dont have it.

Its not that easy anymore. If it was I wouldnt of brought up this question. I know of 3 garges that have had there Insp. Lic. pulled in the last 2 months with in 15 square miles from me.

How ever. Im going to try to to do a 1" BL maybe that 1" Wont be to noticable so Ill have between 3-3.5" of total lift.

I have 97 v8 with 33s. no lift at all, stock wheels, front turned up, the trick is tires cant stick out of fenderwells

I have 97 v8 with 33s. no lift at all, stock wheels, front turned up, the trick is tires cant stick out of fenderwells

I just talked to a friend of mine who had an explorer 2 years ago i rememberd he was running bigger tires. So I asked him what he had done. He put on 285/75/16's and trimmed the front bumper about 3/4". Stock rims.

I am running 32s on my 95 with just warriors and TT. I only have minor rubbing when the suspension compresses. I am planning on doing 33s and trimming to fit. I do need to replace my rear springs( sagging)
yeah you gotta love Wyoming. just needs to be safe.
Tim

Wow.... the $200 on fender flares & muflaps to get my rig to pass NJ inspection doesn't sound too bad, I could go up to 9" of lift (any way I want) and run up to 37" tires and get a sticker.

I had to do some trimming to fit 33x12.5s on 3.75BS rims, even with a 4" Superlift. Good news is that there is quite a bit of space between the firewall and the fender openings after you cut the plastic liner, so go nuts.

Im running 275x75x16 on stock wheels for now, rubs a little on the front side skirts, nothing some minor trimming of the plastic cant fix. However i dont do antything serious offroad...minor trails, i still need to do a lift.

Explorer.jpg

Update

Ok a little Update.
I have a set of 15x8 Rims with 4" BS. A set of 32x10.5x15 TSL's. And They fit with no problem on the vehicle. besides a LITTLE bit of rubbing on where the running boards mount. If you had an explorer with no plastic or running boards The 32x10.5's would clear no problem!

I have the warrior shackles sitting here and a AAl, Ill be doing a 2.5" TT in just a week or two ( depending on snow storms ) And I belive a 33x12.5 will fit with MINIMAL trimming. And as Long as my friend has his extra set of 33's I will be test fitting for another update. :salute:

Ok a little Update.
I have a set of 15x8 Rims with 4" BS. A set of 32x10.5x15 TSL's. And They fit with no problem on the vehicle. besides a LITTLE bit of rubbing on where the running boards mount. If you had an explorer with no plastic or running boards The 32x10.5's would clear no problem!

I have the warrior shackles sitting here and a AAl, Ill be doing a 2.5" TT in just a week or two ( depending on snow storms ) And I belive a 33x12.5 will fit with MINIMAL trimming. And as Long as my friend has his extra set of 33's I will be test fitting for another update. :salute:

You might want to rethink the 2.5"TT your cv axles and ball joints will take a beating, it is normally recommended to not go over 2" on a TT if you want parts to live.

You might want to rethink the 2.5"TT your cv axles and ball joints will take a beating, it is normally recommended to not go over 2" on a TT if you want parts to live.

I know this and understand this.
How ever This is the beater vehicle. Im fine with pushing the limits with things and letting them break. After all i Have 220k on it now. Besides pushing the limits is paving the way for more modifications and more write up's and how too's. And Im a handy person with connections to some people who are willing to make 1 off stuff.
This truck isnt going any where and will be a test vehicle on many different grounds and wheeling adventures. As a Member of MAINE4x4.ORG We have wheeling trips almost every weekend.( durring the summer times just a few in the winter times )

Me and the wife work at the same place and the same hours. ( even have the same vehicle but hers is a year newer) So this is basicaly my run to the store and wheeling vehicle. If Im down a vehicle for a day or 2 its fine.

I have read that some people on here ( A select few )Have wheeled and beat on the 2.5TT and have been fine. Its a Hit or miss. Im willing to push it.

Im still willing to bet that .5 inch isnt going to make a huge differance in trimming for 33's. If I wanted to run a 10.5" tire ( 33" ) I bet no trimming at all would be needed at 2".
If I wanted to do 33x12.5's more trimming would be needed. I prefer a skinny MT tire with some mean lugs.

i had 2.5 of lift (TT and shackles) and was wearing the 33x10.5x16. no rubbing on the street, but defiantly wouldn't take it off road.

334kp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
333nf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

this is with 2.5" TT in front 3" AAL+War153 shackle in the rear. With a set of 32x10.5x15's. 33's would fit with VERY VERY minor trimming.

SO to recap this is stock
DigiCam900.jpg

And after the 2.5-3
IMAG0208.jpg

Next to my wifes stock AWD V8 Explorer.
IMAG0215.jpg

Also I have wheeled this with my Sway Bars attached and have had NO binding.

ok I just got bored and scanned the maine state inspection manual. There is very few new cars let alone used ones that will pass every law. With ABS brakes no body lifts and tires must stay within 2 sizes offered by manufacturer or 2 inches or <> than what it was equipped. none of my trucks will pass lol. Good thing I am an inspection mechanic!

ok I just got bored and scanned the maine state inspection manual. There is very few new cars let alone used ones that will pass every law. With ABS brakes no body lifts and tires must stay within 2 sizes offered by manufacturer or 2 inches or <> than what it was equipped. none of my trucks will pass lol. Good thing I am an inspection mechanic!

As you know being a Maine resident its a PITA to get to pass inspection. If I need an inspection again. I can come to you ;) lol
I do know a guy tho. I just brought it to him with my stock tires and rims. and the 2.5-3" lift and it was still in legal hight... He'd give me a sticker with 35s If I drove there. I may cut this body up and do some 35's, I test fitted 33's yesterday and only have to trim about 3/4"s of the front of the rear fender.. Very minor. If I did 1.5 inches I could do 35's No problem.

Do you have a lifted explorer? Since your from maine check out MAINE4x4.org and sign up to view the site. We have wheeling trips all the time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's mine before my 3"BL... rubbed alittle on the rear of the front fenders until I trimmed a good 2in strip off behind the fender flare so nobody could see it... just shackles and TT... but again it's a sport...
9pxe2h.jpg

10x8voj.jpg

Back