33x12.5s On 15x7 Rims (Once Again) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

33x12.5s On 15x7 Rims (Once Again)

Hey guys,

I know this has been discussed before, but I wanted to see if there was any updated information. My new-to-me X came with some aftermarket wheels that I would like to use on my "Lifted Yuppie" project EB. I was hoping that they were 15x8, but they are only 15x7. I am unsure on the backspacing, but I am assumming 3.5-3-75".
So, I was confident on puttin 33x12.50s on 15x8s, but now I not so sure with the 15x7s. From past threads I know that Paul Gagnon and RangerX have run these tires on stock rims with success (I would appreciate any more comments from either).
So, is this doable? If so, you think any shop will be willing to mount them? Is there a risk of the tires popping off the rim?
If it can be done, I understand experimenting with pressures to assure even wear.

I am just looking for suggestions and to save some $$$.

So, give me some honest opinions. Call me an idiot if you want, you won't be the first or the last.:D

Robb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it can be done.... with that much tire on such a small rim, poppin beads shouldnt be a problem.... the problem would be less tire wear due to a major balloning effect..... personally, i wouldnt do it.... but you truck isnt my truck (yours is newer, nicer, and has a roof;)) but that tire is generally a bit too wide for a 7" wide rim.... the general industry standard a tire should be no less or more than 4" of the rim width.... (but for some reason, a 12.5 is perfect for a 8" rim, go figure :rolleyes: )

Most stock rims have 4.25" of backspacing. Which means you need about 5 or 6 inches of lift to clear 33's. I would reccomend either buying new rims or, instead, get 33x10.5's. Then they will fit fine.

Kyle, the rims I am talking about are aftermarket. I haven't pulled one off to look from the rear, but most aftermarket rims of this genre are usually 3.5-3.75" BS, so I am assuming they are until I take a close look.

Thanks for the input tho!

Jim, thx for the input since I know you work with tires everyday.

Robb

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 528

They'll work, but again you might not get ideal treadwear.

yea, they will work. plan on wearing out the centers a little faster, unless you run them at around 20lbs. (dont do it) i saw some 33's on 15x7's on our test wheel in the lab a few years ago, so i stopped in and talked to the guy. they test just about every kind of use/abuse you can do to a tire. conclusion was, they will be ok, just wear out the centers a little faster. also, puts a little more stress than usual on the beads, but still ok. overtime the heat stress and the fact that the carcass is deformed having them on a 15x7 could cause a belt to slip, but notice i said COULD. they had no experience with this, and they ran them @ 40k miles. just speculation, really.

Thx Alec and James!

I am getting the vibe that it will work and is ok, just not the ideal. Which, of course, is what I expected. This setup will only be temporary (how many permanant things in my life have I said that about?) until I can afford some more appropriate wheels.

Anyone have any horror stories of such a setup?

Paul Gagnon? RanderX?

Robb

If I'm not mistaken, Paul Gagnon runs 36x12.50's on his stock 15x7 wheels :eek:

And he wheels hard too.

Robb you should have no problem running them, especially if it's only temporary until you get new wheels.

well, it is different running 36 or 35 x 12.5 and 33 x 12.5. The larger dia tires have more sidewall to flex, so the tire ends up being flatter on the road.

Kyle is right. I would, ok i have gone with, a 10.50. They look cool and they are easier to fit, only trouble is you gotta find a company that makes em. BF Goodrich is all i found, which was enough. There is a guy running the same tires on a new generation with stock wheels on here some wheres. It is green, might try a search.

Kirby, I dunno how much offcamber stuff you go through but I imagine having tires that skinny could make things a little interesting. It would scare the heck out of me for sure.

As far as tires go; I am looking at Kumho Venture MTs and Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers.

Why?..............Why Not?

I personally feel BFGs are overated. (that is just my opinion) I have used Dunlops on my work trucks for years and and have been very pleased with them. Tirerack survey scores them very high (higher than BFGs), As far as Kumhos go, I have only read opinions about them on the net. All have been good. Tirerack survey also scores them higher than BFGs.

Robb

They are way more sure footed then I care to have them. Places in Colorado and Moab haven't been too off camber and pitched me on my side, although if I tried bet I could roll a hummer! Also because they are Skinnier I can run a smaller lift and not rub on the fenders. Besides I don't think Huge wide tires do all that much for you unless you are in mud or dunes. Most people Think they look cool, I don't. Mine will do a whole lot better in the deep snow we see in Colorado They also stomp in the rock because of all the ground clearance.
And another plus- They are lighter abd don't take as much of a toll on my drive train.
See, I have good reasons.

As far as BFGs, they are alright. I would have gotten something cheeper but I got a discount on them and they are the only ones I could Find (that would wear for a decent amount of time-read- super swampers) in a 33x10.50

I'm running my 33s on a 15 x 10. I need to by rims for my 35s, should i get 15 x 10 or 15 x 8? What is better and why?

it looks like explodor could be selling some 15 by 10s and if you picked those up it would solve your problems right? or i might be confused.

btw- a good friend of mine used to run stock tires on AR 15 by 10s on an x... lol. stupid x girlfriends

I have run the 33x10.5s off camber in the Ranger and they were fine, never had any problems. Now I am running on 33x12.5s on the stock 15x7 rims.

--Sean

A girl (Yes a girl) at my friends church had a yota all camo'd out with 33x12.50's on the stock 15x7. Her bead blew out at about 25 mph (if i remember correctly) after she hit some sort of debris in the road. Anyway, it destroyed her driver's front wheel and she ended up getting new 8" wide wheels. Women drivers:rolleyes:

-Justin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Guys!!

As far as my plans, of course, they change constantly. I don't have to deal with trying to get this to work. I bought some 15x8 AR 136s off AdamFoote so don't have to worry about the 15x7s. And hopefully, with some luck this winter, I won't be messing with 33s.

Robb

Back