• Register Today It's free!

347 stroker kit...

2kLimitedv8

Reaction score
City, State
Lawrenceburg, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited 5.0
I have a 2000 5.0L, and I really would love to install a 347 stroker kit, instead of a supercharger. For one, superchargers are more expensive and add less hp, and two, the whine of a supercharger is very noticable so the sleeper idea goes out the window.

I have a few questions:

1.) Exactly what kind of power can I expect out of a 347 kit? My motor is stock, except for KKM w/K&N X-Stream intake, and I have a 3" Flowmaster exhaust. Would a 347 put out closer to 350hp or closer to 400+hp? :eek:

2.) What about reliability? Is a motor with a 347 kit any more or less reliable than a stock 302?

3.) What are some good sites on the internet that sell 347 kits for good prices, and how much should I expect to pay.

4.) Are there any other necessary addons with a 347? (i.e. do I need bigger injectors, MAF, or TB?)

Thanks to anyone who can help

-Nathan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nathan, a good place to start is by picking up a copy of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords. There are several adds for stroker engines. I'm sure you can buy just the crank, rods, and pistons. Horse power is going to depend on cam, intake, injectors, MAS, throtle body, haeders/exhaust ect. I think you will have to modify a 5.0 mustang throtle body as no one I know makes one for an Explorer. I beleive there is a thread on how to do this. I hope this helps.

think about this-

stroking 302's causes oiling problems. the piston goes such a greater distance that it goes into areas that the oil cannot reach properly. this dramatically shortens life of engine components. i have yet to see a solution for this problem too.

eric

I've been looking into this myself...

Not much reading material on it, but here's a link to some prices on their homepage.
Dead Link Removed

If you find anything more out lemme know. These guys are located a few hours from me so i might try to give them a call sometime and see if there's something we can work out :)

thanks for the info..

thanks Stubby. that looks like a reasonable price. If the kit itself is only $1200 or so, I figure with all other necessary parts, (cam, throttle body, mas, etc) you'd still be looking at under $2500, if not possibly under $2000. Of course I'd only do such a thing if I installed it myself (which in about a year and half I'll hopefully have my ASE certifications as thats when I'll graduate from school) so I should be able to do it no problem.

I've talked to a few of my friends about the idea, and they think i'm crazy. Yeah, $2500 or so may seem like a lot to spend on a car, but then again, look at these young stupid people with their stereos (just kidding, I'm 19 myself, but old enough to know better, I had a $5000 stereo in my '91 Explorer, and I've been lucky enough to be able to resell pretty much all of it) who put $1000s into their cars.

And if you ask me, I'd much rather put $2500 into the engine. I mean hey, would you rather pull up next to a Corvette and crank up your bass (WHOOOOOOOOO!), or pull up next to a Corvette and smoke his @zz? Personally, I'd rather smoke him.

Thanks again for the help.

If anyone else can add anything please do

-Nathan

Thanks Eric, I was looking at maybee a 331 stroker in a few years when my engine needs a rebuild. Looks like i will stay stock except for mild cam, headers, and GT 40 intake.

Yea it will only last 100,000 miles instead of 150,000 untill it starts to burn oil but until then you will have the time of your life. Live for the now is what I always say. It well worth the money.

well it can be a pretty simple swap but it depends on exactly what direction you go in. let me know and i can help you out more.

check out 347streetfighter.com theirs adresses the oil control issues (the wrist pin doesnt intersect the oil control ring). back in the early days of stroking a 302 this was a problem, but most places have addressed this issue. it should get 100,000 miles +, unless your only gonna use it stictly for racing (probably not) so i say go for it!

Troll motor is built by the original designer of the 347. Troll only oil problem is lossing it through various gaskets other then that his motor is fine and runs great. you need to be carefull when buying a kit though because a lot of companies figured a way to save money buy using parts that are a lot cheaper and come out to a little less cubes but advertise them as being a 347. a friend of ours bought one and had it taken apart buy Ronnie Crawford and that is when we found out how come these companies can offer such cheap kits.

347 kits

hey blk_mk8 any particular 347 stroker kit you could recommend versus another maker of the same type kit? what would be some of the differences between the 347 kit on the stock 302 and a built 347? also can the stock tranny for a '00 5.0 withstand the power being generated by the 347?

also interested in the reliability of the stock tranny w/ high power
Anyone know?

Back