35" KM2s...installed ! !

OffTrac

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac 4x4
Update: For installed pictures and the commencing trimming, start at page 4.

I still haven't given up on this and may get the wheels for Christmas (or just get my Christmas present early since my wife already got the ring, earrings and watch she wanted).:rolleyes:

But I really think I want to get these tires on the ST. I'm aware of the trimming. I'm aware of the stress. Thanks in advance for the concerns. Maybe I'll just get pushed toward a SAS sooner.:D

I have these sitting in the barn. They belong to my brother-in-law but he's running H1 wheels/military surplus 37s on his JK now. I can get these basically for whatever I offer (I'll be fair).

IMG_3313.jpg

Now, I really just need help deciding on what wheels. Gotta be 17s. Trying to stay under the price of my wife's gift (reasons should be obvious).

Is there any reason I can't run these 17x9 with 2.5" backspacing? I know it'll push the tires out there.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PCW-52-7965R2-5/

There are some options with 4.25" backspacing. Would that be the better choice. I just feel like 4.25" would be too much. I was hoping to find 3.75", but I can't find them in a 17" wheel. The other options in 17" wheels have 5" backspacing and there's no way that will work and there's no way I'm going to use wheel spacers with 35s.

Sorry for another wheel and tire question, but at least I'm not just trying to fit 33s under a completely stock vehicle. Also, I'm not interested in 33s just to gain another .5" in ground clearance. It's 32s that fit, stuff and don't rub or 35s with a little work. I'm willing to make changes for 35s, not 33s.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, and there's 5 others of these tires with ~25% tread left, so I'd have tons of spares.

A 9" rim with 2.5" BS sounds like trouble. If that and 4.25" are the choices, I'd go 4.25 any day. What was your stock rim width and BS?

Thanks. That's what I'm afraid of. I'm just afraid the 4.25" won't move everything out enough with a 12.5" wide tire.

Stock: 16x7, 4.5" bs

A 9" rim with 2.5" BS sounds like trouble.

And why would that be? The distribution of weight so far from the hub is the reason I was concerned with. Anything else?

hey there Hugh,
mine are the Black Rock Viper series:
17x8 wheel size
Backspace = 4.5"
Offset = 0mm
and even with the 4.5 backspace, my rear tires were about half an inch from rubbing the inside of the 33x11.5 tire. so I added an the 1.5 spacers all around as well.

And why would that be? The distribution of weight so far from the hub is the reason I was concerned with. Anything else?
No, that's what I was thinking.

hey there Hugh,
mine are the Black Rock Viper series:
17x8 wheel size
Backspace = 4.5"
Offset = 0mm
and even with the 4.5 backspace, my rear tires were about half an inch from rubbing the inside of the 33x11.5 tire. so I added an the 1.5 spacers all around as well.

So, with 35s and being set on not using spacers, 4.5" backspacing obviously could not work at all. Thanks.

But here's where I'm thinking maybe the 2.5" backspacing wouldn't be so terrible:

9" wheel with 2.5" backspacing means much of the weight is distributed along the roughly 6.5" outside the hub.

Many guys on this forum run 35x12.5s on 15x10 rims with 3.75" backspacing. That's equivalent to much of the weight being over the wheel along the 6.25" outside the hub. And that's even on the D35.

Will there be that big of a difference in running a 17x9 with 2.5" backspacing than all the guys on here running 15x10 with 3.75" backspacing? Is that .25" more over the hub that much stronger? Or am I focusing on the wrong factors?

i guess it depends on how heavy you're hitting the rocks. if you're planning on doing Baja speed or some major rock crawling, it may be a concern, but for street driving or limited trail mud i wouldn't worry. but at the same time, I'm yet to blow a hub from trail riding, and reserve the right to change my opinion if that occurs ;)

May be pulling the trigger on this soon. I have two people interested in my stock wheels and 32" tires. Whenever I can get rid of those, I should have this done about a week following. Crossing my fingers. I've got a bunch of brand new sawzall blades that have been getting neglected.:hammer:

Oh, and just realized. The picture I posted is of the spares. Can't find a picture of the actual tires. Maybe I'll snap one tomorrow.

Oh that's gonna look great! You'll trim the lower fenders though, right?

Will there be that big of a difference in running a 17x9 with 2.5" backspacing than all the guys on here running 15x10 with 3.75" backspacing? Is that .25" more over the hub that much stronger? Or am I focusing on the wrong factors?

Any wiser Ex owners with an opinion on this?

You are going to hate those tires if go anywhere it is wet. Once they get wear like those do, they dont work worth a terd. Mine had more tread then that and I tossed them.

Oh great! I'm getting a set this week, and moving to one the world's wettest places next week! :rolleyes: I do plan to sipe them, though.

You tossed them with more than 70% tread? Were you looking at the first or the later pictures? The first pictures are the spares. They have 30% or less tread.

Do you mean wet pavement, rocks, or just wet off road? Wet pavement I'm not worried about because I drive less than 5 miles to work. For long trips, I take the wife's Tahoe. I'm not a crawler but may make a couple trips occasionally; it's hard when you're in S. Ga. Poor performance on just wet trails would suck, though. I do have to deal with sand, clay and mud. My off road trips usually consist of just getting to the hunting spots that others guys turn around before getting to.

I can get these at a really good price, so if I have to get new one's next year, that's not a big problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks. For the price I'm getting them (brother-in-law special), I'm going to give them a try. Snow isn't a concern and our winter's are more wet than our summer droughts obviously but still not that bad. I'll see how this works out. Unfortunately, still waiting to get rid of the stocks before I can buy the wheels.

Back