• Register Today It's free!

OffTrac

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac 4x4
Ok, so there's lots of questions and I get a bunch of PMs about putting 35s on the Trac (few have followed through, lol). Maybe a thread solely about 35s would help. I will likely put the better info. on here tomorrow, but figured I'd get this going and anyone currently on 35s can post a photo, their setup and any tips. Or anyone that has questions about 35s can go ahead and start away. While I did enjoy the rarity of being on 35s, I see the interest growing and would love to see more of us, especially on the trails.

I'll start with how my insanity started and the first thread anyone interested in 35s should read. A lot of the info will probably come directly from his page. John and his legendary Rock Trac:

P1020775.jpg

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95827

And my unworthy follow up.

60142_10101600935594080_1205482981_n.jpg

More to come...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks again hugh for starting this thread. i'd love to see some 35's especially on 18's (cough cough hammer down cough cough). i can't wait to spend more money!

John and i were working on the problem he was having with cv axles at the time of,,
well that is another story,

he did have the same problem and it was not on account of tire size that he was having cv issues, i was an issue with one of the locating brackets for his front diff,,

i though i should add this in to the thread as i had the same issue, which we both fixed, but in different ways,
any questions can be posted here , i will offer what we had found and how it got fixed,,

Besides Chad, which has run a couple different suspension setups, TxPlates, Travis Stevens, Hugh, Patrick and the departed and truly missed John Johnstone are some of the few members here that run 35's.

I myself plan on running 35's if not 37's when I do my Dana 60 SAS but for now have 33's (it's my DD and I live in a big city where there's no flat ground, all windy Steep hills and mountains so without a gear swap I didn't wanna put too much strain on the drivetrain parts).

Curious to see what everyone has to say or ask about on this topic.

Here's mine:

305400_4011690219363_1255672606_n.jpg

I used Offtrac's threads (35" KM2s Installed http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332208 & Lono's TT/Shackle how-to http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329062) to get my lifts done and trim the necessary amount of plastic. I have 2" TT, Warrior 153 shackles, and a PA 3" body lift. Only a small amount of rub on the sway bar at full lock. My wheel specs are 17x9 with 3.75" BS -19mm offset. Most everything is in my registry link as well. I also have 1.25" hubcentric spacers in the rear to give it a wider stance and also gives more room for wheel articulation.

secret.gif

too bad this is for sport tracs only. i just mounted some 315s on my truck

secret.gif

too bad this is for sport tracs only. i just mounted some 315s on my truck

Sorry. The wheel wells being different than any other Explorer configuration, mostly because of the rear, I wanted to make a post about how simple it is to fit 35s specifically on a Sport Trac. Even the very similar Sport has more issues because of the rear wheel wells. 3rd Gen Explorers are just a whole other issue, :eek:. I do love the 315s you have, though.:thumbsup:

I'd like to be in the 35 club, but I can't decide if I'll ever go to a spindle lift which means having to run even bigger tires with smaller brake rotors. Also, my current 33"s have less than 8k miles on them, and now that I take the train to work in averaging about to miles a day. Maybe some day long down the road.

anyone have an opinion of 315/75/16's? duratracs come in this size and I love them, that is a 34.6 inch tire,close enough to 35

That size would be fine and if Duratracs are as good as the reviews on here seem to be, then I'd say go for it. 35x12.5s don't actually measure out to a true 35" either.

Yes they are! I've driven down mountains during snowstorms and they gripped like glue, been through mud and never caked up, commuted in the rain and never lost traction, and flew through the sierra mountains like I was on rails!

I have duratracs now and love them,my question was more fishing to see if you guys thought it was too narrow to run a 315/75/16, they will fit right on my stock rims and I dont think anyone has done this as most guys go up to the 12.5 rims

I'd say get atleast an 8" wide wheel to put 315's on. A 7" wheel is too narrow and really pushing the limits of the bead. Jmo.

I was just about to post the same thing. I didn't consider that you'd be putting them on the stock wheels.

And about the Duratracs, oh yeah, duh.:banghead:

If I had to get new rims I might aswell go with a wider tire then. I was just looking to do things a bit cheaper, maybe I can find steel wheels cheap somewhere

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back