• Register Today It's free!

351 swap possible if lowered?

liv2surf34

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Eddie Bauer
Hey i did the torsion flip a while back and am on 20s.

I would like to swap my 302 for a 351w stroked to a 427, would that be possible being lowered so far (about 4 or 4.5 inches)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its possible. your gonna have to be real creative to keep creature comforts and a lot of other not so essential items (things most people think are essentials).

however, no reason that just the lowering would make it a lot harder so much.

Lowering shouldnt have an effect on whether a 351 will fit or not. The hardest parts will be fitting it in the engine compartment, keeping all the accessories you want (heater box will probably be in the way), and having custom exhaust manifolds/headers made.

heater cores are for wimps anyways

<--------prays he gets to keep his with his air bags

I was thinking of moving most of the stuff around, like maybe relocating stuff like washer fluid, battery, etc to the cargo area...make like a custom box for it or something.

I have another question though should i try and keep EFI or carb it, what are the pros/cons?

*edit*-i was also wondering can i keep all the computer stuff from this engine or will i need all new wiring and ecu, etc etc...like if i swap the motor am i swapping basically everything but chassis w/suspension and body? Or can i keep the ecu and such

I believe you'll need a new computer and everything. EFI is great, but carbed is great as well. They both have pros and cons - Carbs seem to need more maitnance than a EFI. I'm sure someone else can give you a direct answer. You might run into clearance problems as well.

-Drew

Yea my main concern was clearance, being lowered quite a bit i worry about an already tight area to work with(like exhaust clearance and such), i guess the only way to know for sure is pull the old one and get a new one ready to drop in to see what needs to go and stay eh?

Yea thats what i figured, but maybe a slightly modded hood(well modded), would make it work? I wouldnt mind sacrificing a little of my drop, but i definately dont want stock height or lifted, so I hope a new hood will do the trick, or cut and weld mine somehow.

Back