• Register Today It's free!

351 Windsor swap....

SeanM

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT 4.0L OHV 4WD 4dr
Would it work logistically??? Any type of engine bay modification required to house the beast???

It has been done, can be done, and will be done again. Heck these nuts have even put a 460 in a Ranger.

yes you will have to modify the firewall to fit the tranny. a Body lift would help a great deal.

Go look over at www.theranerstation.com and search the forums for this...you will find guys who have done the 5.8L....

can be done... but it will be REAL tight in an X. i have one in my 75 bronc so if you need some general measurements/comparisons between it an a 5.0 hit me up.

It is actually pretty easy. The guys at Ford SVE did a 1997 Explorer 4door several years ago. When I spoke to them about it, the changes were few: two small dimples in the dash panel were the only ones I did not like. One to clear a valve cover and one for the intake.

The thing that could be the job stopper, depending on budget are headers. From what I remember, custom headers were a necessity. I don't believe the 302 FRPP headers will work and most likely would not flow enough air for a 351W anyhow.

The front end accessory drive and oil pan from the 302 bolted right on and only needed a longer belt. The 351W GT40 lower manifold would be needed to use the explorer upper intake.

Let me know if you do this. Should be a great project!

Back