351wExplorer: nearly completed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

351wExplorer: nearly completed

Hi, my name is andrew. I started this project in the fall of 2003, i was 17 then, it is now february 2005 and it is ALMOST DONE. I can't wait to drive this thing. I started the buildup simply because my tranny went out. Then i thought why put another tranny in when i have a 302 ready to put in. Well i stumbled across a 351w, edelbrock 650 carb, intake and cam'd. So i purchased this and it was my new powerplant. Well after deciding to go V8 i thought why not straight axle and spring over, you know how the mod bug works. At first it was going to be another 8.8 and a dana 30, but then the bug bit again and i went for a fullsize 9" along with a dana44. i had to install All new brakes all around along with break lines. Well axles are in along with the engine, tranny (tranny has a wicked shift kit) and t-case. Radiator has been put in place and that pretty much brings you up to speed.
First off a pic of me
364759_44.jpg

please tell me what you think about my truck, pros or cons

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

these are pictures of the 351w
364759_32.jpg

364759_36.jpg

this is the motor mount i fabbed.
364759_38.jpg

this is my relocated oil filter
364759_39.jpg

this is my front coil bracket along with shock mount and trac bar mount
364759_35.jpg

here is my control arm, stock equipment on 79 bronc. the brackets arent done and it still has to be fully welded
364759_40.jpg

rear suspension set-up
364759_29.jpg

364759_30.jpg

these are pics of my t-case selector
364759_31.jpg

364759_34.jpg

364759_33.jpg

364759_37.jpg

this is my 4-core aluminum radiator. it is on the small side, yes, but i am running not only the electric fan but also a fixed pitch in combination with purple ice and a 165 degree (i think) thermo.

364759_41.jpg
i have to represent for suzuki, ( i ride an ltz400) keep in mind the tires pictured are trashed 35x12.50s on 15x8 rims.
364759_43.jpg

:eek: Wow. Did you get the tranny and T-case out of the Bronco too?

no, if i remeber right the tranny and t-case came out of an older f 150 we had.

this is the tranny mount i made, i think i used the stock explorer bracket, im not sure. but either way it went in fairly smooth.
364759_42.jpg

i had to notch the frame to fit my transfer case. i just torched it, i dont think i did but did i weaken the frame alot by doing this, if so should i patch it?
364759_45.jpg

Wouldn't hurt to reinforce, you have a frame made for a gutless , lighter motor.

?did the last 2 pics work for you, there not showing for me?

i think i will weld a piece over it, but then i will have to cut it to again if i ever have to remove it. would bolting a piece be just as good?

They weren't working before, they are now. I would weld it in.

Looks good. :)

about this radius arm to frame mount-
364759_40.jpg

Is it just a mock up or is this it? Because if thats it, its gonna fold on you eventually. You need to figure out a way to have it all one piece from frame to bottom, and its gonna need alot of bracing hanging that low.

well that is basically it, the square tubing you see is going to be shortend considerably so the stock bronco bracket will hit the other bracket i made. this will move it up about 1" to 1.5". there will be a crossmember going between the two bronco mounts. It still is in need of welding, it will all be fully welded.

i am going to run it like that for about 2-3 months, until i have the time and money to finish the bracket i am having made that will stretch between the frame rails in about the center of the truck, from there i will have custom control arms that go to the front and ladder bars to the rear.

does anyone know what spline my rearend might be?

robb suggested a 31 spline, i beleive him, im just looking for a second opionion

the cam was put in by the previous owner of the engine. It sounds pretty roudy, but then again, ive only heard this engine run out of straight manifolds

talk about loud... haha, i cant wait to hear it with the flowmaster

If it is out of a 79, it is big bearing and 31 spline. It is also the beefier "non-banjo" style housing.

thanks for the help jamest, can you explain the non-banjo for me?

easiest way to remember right here---

:D

Attachments

• banjo9.jpg
    banjo9.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,127

did you use all the suspension components from tha 79 bronco ie.., springs, radius arms, srping buckets, radius arm brackets?? Did u leave your axles full width or narrow them?? The reason i am askin is your setup looks identical to my idea i was gonna do wit a 79 F-150.

buckets, springs, shock mounts and radius arm are all out a 79. the axles are full size also

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you have to modify your rear driveshaft to fit the 9" or did it bolt right up?

Back