• Register Today It's free!

35s or 37s on stock 8.8

rabbit91

Reaction score
City, State
Surrey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 LIMITED V8 SAS 35s
looking for some feedback and advice from anyone running 37s on a stock 8.8 I want to know if it's held up or have you broken any shafts, gears, locker etc.

Please list what carrier, gears, and any other relevant information.

I'm going up in tire size from 33s to either 35s or 37s. The extra height from 37s would be nice for diff ground clearance but I don't want to sacrifice reliablitity in the process. I would say I wheel hard but smart, slow as possible, as fast as nessacary.

My 8.8 has stock shafts, 4.88s and an eaton trutrac, Locks up both tires nicely but it's not a full locker.

So am i asking to break things if I go to 37s? Should I be fine? Anyone running the super 88 chromos?

IMG_3699_zpsjvkthkym.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ran 37s for 12 years on my Ranger. Some of those years were on the Ranger 28 spline 8.8 with a Auburn LS and 4.56, some years were with an Explorer 31 spline 8.8 with 4.56 and a lunchbox locker. I wheeled a lot of fairly tough rock trails In SoCal, Moab AZ, and Rubicon. Never had a single issue.
You want 37s, go for it and don't worry.

Yea go for it..i run large 36x14.50 (measures 37"ish by 15"ish) with Yukon 4.88s and aussie locked..hell i still have the d35 up front also.im not easy on it either,i do run stock warn locker hubs though and 75% of the time i only lock the driverside. .i keep spare hubs,driverside axle and rear driveshaft in the truck..

Question should be, can you clear 37" without more lift..have you extended your driveahafts yet?? Probably need to if going any higher. .i added 2" to mine.im on about 9" of suspension lift,3"body..

Also you going to notice a HUGE difference in power especially if your use to 33"s and 4.88s

5.13's on 37s. Just broke my first factory 8.8 shaft, which I hear is unheard of. Technically it is a FS Bronco 8.8 in my explorer , but same idea. I just went to cromoly shafts.

Steve, what were the conditions under which it broke?

The main weak link in the 31 spline diff is the stock carrier. I have seen 2 split right where the ring gear mounts and at center pin holes. With an aftermarket carrier they are pretty darn stout. I wouldn't think twice about 37s.

Thank you for the super fast responses !

Jd4242 when you say huge difference, you mean losing power right lol, probably feel similar to when I had it 33s and 3.73s. Front should clear fine, back I might add a couple inches, I have longer bump stops to go in and I'll cut where I need to. Just my rear shaft will need to be lengthened possibly. SASd the front with chromos so should be good there, knock on wood but I carry spare ujoints.

I'm curious to hear how Steve broke his shaft ;)

Thank you for the super fast responses !

Jd4242 when you say huge difference, you mean losing power right lol, probably feel similar to when I had it 33s and 3.73s. Front should clear fine, back I might add a couple inches, I have longer bump stops to go in and I'll cut where I need to. Just my rear shaft will need to be lengthened possibly. SASd the front with chromos so should be good there, knock on wood but I carry spare ujoints.

I'm curious to hear how Steve broke his shaft ;)
It will be a little worse,the 37s are heavier and larger (obviously) so more power will be lost..

How much lift do you have now in the rear?mine started to pop apart around 7" of lift (Axle flip and a AAL) when i would get on it or flexing and gassing it

It will be a little worse,the 37s are heavier and larger (obviously) so more power will be lost..

How much lift do you have now in the rear?mine started to pop apart around 7" of lift (Axle flip and a AAL) when i would get on it or flexing and gassing it

Pretty similar, I'm spring over and I have leafs out of an f150 with my explorer main leaf. Also swapped tcase and driveshafts for f150 drive shafts (bw4406 swap) haven't had any problems with the driveshaft popping out, have a couple years of driving on it

Back