1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
Hello all,
I've been wondering, why go with a 35W HID vs 55W HID if the halogens use about 55W anyway? Is it the longevity of the bulb? Also, before I do my conversion, I am wondering if one of the HID bulbs go out, will I have to pay 40 bucks for a new bulb or is there replacement bulbs for much less?

Also, why is everyone not able to use the autoheadlamp feature if they install HIDs?

If I do buy HIDs, I would have to buy the Bixenon one right?

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, why is everyone not able to use the autoheadlamp feature if they install HIDs?

If you do not use a CAN harness then auto lamps can cause some of the ballasts not to fire when you start the car. If you use a standard relay harness I recommend getting a delay relay http://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?HID_Time_Delay_Relay-pid602.html to make sure the ballasts aren't trying to fire while the car is turning over.

I'm currently using a standard relay harness w/ the linked delay relay, I have no issues w/ autolamps. Everything works as expected.

Hello all,
I've been wondering, why go with a 35W HID vs 55W HID if the halogens use about 55W anyway? Is it the longevity of the bulb? Also, before I do my conversion, I am wondering if one of the HID bulbs go out, will I have to pay 40 bucks for a new bulb or is there replacement bulbs for much less?

If I do buy HIDs, I would have to buy the Bixenon one right?

Thank you.
Perhaps this link may address some of your concerns. Also note that the Explorer housings are different for Halogen and HID. They are constructed specifically for each type of lighting.
http://www.squidoo.com/hid-bulbs-halogen-bulbs

Peter

Get a 35w kit. Check with the company you are buying the kit from for replacement bulb pricing. My cool bulbs kit has worked fine with the auto headlight feature. You don't have to get bixenon, the exp uses a 9005 bulb and the headlight has a shutter that opens to allow more light out when the brights are activated. So it's just a 1 bulb per housing set up.

If you do not use a CAN harness then auto lamps can cause some of the ballasts not to fire when you start the car. If you use a standard relay harness I recommend getting a delay relay http://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?HID_Time_Delay_Relay-pid602.html to make sure the ballasts aren't trying to fire while the car is turning over.

I'm currently using a standard relay harness w/ the linked delay relay, I have no issues w/ autolamps. Everything works as expected.

13Sport- Can this delay relay be installed on my Ltd. with HIDs from the factory and the original harness?

If it can where would the relay be installed at, is it a plug and play deal? If not what is involved getting it installed?

Thanks, tinner

Okay, so if I want the autoheadlight feature, I have to specifically get the canbus ballasts. Those ballasts are expensive though. I want to still use my autoheadlight feature.

I want a longer lasting HID because I heard HIDs tend to burn out really fast so I want to buy a good brand. I'm trying to find 5000K HID so I can have a white light and not a bluish tint but I can't seem to find one for the H11 fogs. What has been the best Experience for you all so far with HIDs? What is a good brand?

13Sport- Can this delay relay be installed on my Ltd. with HIDs from the factory and the original harness?

If it can where would the relay be installed at, is it a plug and play deal? If not what is involved getting it installed?

Thanks, tinner

You don't need a delay relay on factory HID.. factory HID's are using the CANBUS to ignite the ballasts, and don't have the same issue as aftermarket ones.

Okay, so if I want the autoheadlight feature, I have to specifically get the canbus ballasts. Those ballasts are expensive though. I want to still use my autoheadlight feature.

I want a longer lasting HID because I heard HIDs tend to burn out really fast so I want to buy a good brand. I'm trying to find 5000K HID so I can have a white light and not a bluish tint but I can't seem to find one for the H11 fogs. What has been the best Experience for you all so far with HIDs? What is a good brand?

You don't need to use a canbus ballast/harness. If you use a standard relay harness with a delay relay everything will work fine (start the car, and lights will come on ~15 seconds afterward). If you do not use a delay relay in the harness and just use the standard relay that ships in the harness your lights may not fire correctly every time you start the car, and you will likely cause early wear on the ballasts due to the way the car fires them when using the auto headlight feature at night. If you don't use a delay relay, or canbus harness, it is recommended you do not use the auto headlight feature with aftermarket hid kits.

I'm using a kit from ddmtuning on my Sport. I have a 55w slim 6000k kit (9005 type bulbs), and I've had ZERO issues. I used their relay harness, and swapped out the relay w/ the delay relay I linked above. Total for the kit+harness+delay relay was 65$. I've been using the kit for about a year and 4 months, I have ~50k miles since the swap, most at night with the HID's on.

Thought I'd add.. here is a comparison of the cutoff on my Sport before and after the HID install.

lighting_combined.png

Attachments

• lighting4_002.jpg
    lighting4_002.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 577

You don't need a delay relay on factory HID.. factory HID's are using the CANBUS to ignite the ballasts, and don't have the same issue as aftermarket ones.

What issues I'm trying to resolve that every time we hit the start button the HIDs fire up for 1 to 2 seconds, and when we drive into the garage the lights fire up before we can put the Ex. into park even on sunny days.

That is a lot of needless wear on the HIDs bulbs and ballasts firing up day after day, so thats why I'm wanting to delay the lights from coming on. It will save on bulbs and ballasts overtime.

Any install tips would be appreciated.

What issues I'm trying to resolve that every time we hit the start button the HIDs fire up for 1 to 2 seconds, and when we drive into the garage the lights fire up before we can put the Ex. into park even on sunny days.

That is a lot of needless wear on the HIDs bulbs and ballasts firing up day after day, so thats why I'm wanting to delay the lights from coming on. It will save on bulbs and ballasts overtime.

Any install tips would be appreciated.

In the vehicle settings on the left gauge LCD is an option for delay for the lights coming on. It won't help for when you start the car in the garage, but it will help for when driving back into the garage. Set this to max (30 seconds I believe)

If you're able to back into the garage that would solve your issue.

Peter

In the vehicle settings on the left gauge LCD is an option for delay for the lights coming on. It won't help for when you start the car in the garage, but it will help for when driving back into the garage. Set this to max (30 seconds I believe)

The only option I have found is to delay the parking, tail, puddle, courtesy lights from turning off, there's like 4 or 5 settings. I've looked in the owners manual and have found nothing to delay lights from turning on. If this an option where is it?

Will this delay relay be able to be installed on my Ltd?

Thanks

If you're able to back into the garage that would solve your issue.

Peter

Wife vetoed that idea Peter, she said especially when the driveway has snow or ice.

You had a Ltd., do you know of a setting to delay the lights from coming on, I can't find it- just delay the lights off.

Thanks-tinner

Wife vetoed that idea Peter, she said especially when the driveway has snow or ice.

You had a Ltd., do you know of a setting to delay the lights from coming on, I can't find it- just delay the lights off.

Thanks-tinner
No, I wasn't aware of any setting to delay the lights from coming ON. Just from shutting OFF, like you said. Keep in mind that HID lamps do not have filaments if that is what you are worried about.

Peter

Thanks-tinner

You are correct.. disregard my previous advice. The delay relay won't work w/ the stock HID lights. The only option you really have is to manually shut off the lights before entering the garage, and switching back to auto upon exiting the garage.

You don't need to use a canbus ballast/harness. If you use a standard relay harness with a delay relay everything will work fine (start the car, and lights will come on ~15 seconds afterward). If you do not use a delay relay in the harness and just use the standard relay that ships in the harness your lights may not fire correctly every time you start the car, and you will likely cause early wear on the ballasts due to the way the car fires them when using the auto headlight feature at night. If you don't use a delay relay, or canbus harness, it is recommended you do not use the auto headlight feature with aftermarket hid kits.

I'm using a kit from ddmtuning on my Sport. I have a 55w slim 6000k kit (9005 type bulbs), and I've had ZERO issues. I used their relay harness, and swapped out the relay w/ the delay relay I linked above. Total for the kit+harness+delay relay was 65$. I've been using the kit for about a year and 4 months, I have ~50k miles since the swap, most at night with the HID's on.

Thanks everyone for the replies. As a reply to 13Sport, this option seems to be a lot better and a lot cheaper than a CANBUS harness. I put my Explorer in the garage so this seems like it would really reduce the wear. Thank you so much.

Back