3800 M90 Build | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3800 M90 Build

Ok the cats out the bag!!im going supercharged .its a 3800 gm m90.i need lots of help as im a nos guy.for starters my list of mods is in my signature.the guy im buying it from ran it on a stock tuned motor at 3psi.first question is what is the "safe" limit to run boost at?i know it is not ideal but i have a wide band O2 and will be doing tuning very soon.i also will be trying to have my company make a new lower intake mounting bracket on the cnc machine and have it taped for nos/water meth injectors/spray bars.i will also be getting a p+p unit from 3800 performance and stepping down on the pulley to try and run 8-10psi.what size injectors should i run for that?which fuel pump should i run?any suggestions on tuning?i was going to go mega squirt but i see sct has a new chip out,any suggestions?

DONE

ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

dyno run,these was the last two pulls with the 2.7 and the alternator was bad.turn your volume down!!

and a 3.25 pull and think my rev is still set to 5000 in this one

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So just a little update.i called and talked to the guy at 3800performance and he is going to build me a custom charger.he is filling a couple of the holes i won't use and porting and polishing the whole unit afte.he is also milling down the snout to fit smaller pullies.there is some other stuff getting done to it but that im keeping a secret till at least i get it back and only if you can tell by the pic will you know;)i helped out my buddy Chris(boomin ) with picking up an explorer after a 10hr straight trip so i now have a sohc oil pan and all parts for it.figured it may help a little and why not it was free.so next sat i will be trying to put in the fuel pump and sohc oil pan.im going to try and do it with out removing the engine,i have a 3" body lift and 5.5 so i should have room to crank the motor up pretty high to get it off.do i have to use the sohc pump and pick up or can i use ohv pump and pick up?or can i use sohc pick up on my ohv pump?i have a high flow pump so i don't wanna get ride of it?!!!!

check with Brandon96...he bought my old motor and SOHC pan.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

check with Brandon96...he bought my old motor and SOHC pan.

I did he said he used both because the sohc pump was a higher flowing pump.well that's not really true.i just got off the phone for mellings and they use the same pump and the pump i have the m328 is the high flow pump for both models.the only difference is the pickup,one is about an inch longer but he couldn't tell me is a one fit the other pan so im just going to use the sohc pick up on my ohv pump and sohc pan.

o ps man im kind of shocked how much air this charger puts out just by spinning it by hand hahahaa I've been here for hours playing with it,spinning it and blowing smoke into from my cig hahahaahah wrrrrrrrr wrrrrrrrrr wrrrrrrrrr lol

psss me and Chris picked that explorer up right down the street from your house last night at about 11:00;( then drove back!!

I'm sure you will be able to pull off the pan and oil pump swap. Its not going to be a comfortable thing though. I can hardly wait to read your comments after going thru it.

I'm not understanding the P&P of the supercharger though. Are you not going to be worried about too much boost, and looking for a larger pulley?

So just a little update.i called and talked to the guy at 3800performance and he is going to build me a custom charger.he is filling a couple of the holes i won't use and porting and polishing the whole unit afte.he is also milling down the snout to fit smaller pullies.there is some other stuff getting done to it but that im keeping a secret till at least i get it back and only if you can tell by the pic will you know;)i helped out my buddy Chris(boomin ) with picking up an explorer after a 10hr straight trip so i now have a sohc oil pan and all parts for it.figured it may help a little and why not it was free.so next sat i will be trying to put in the fuel pump and sohc oil pan.im going to try and do it with out removing the engine,i have a 3" body lift and 5.5 so i should have room to crank the motor up pretty high to get it off.do i have to use the sohc pump and pick up or can i use ohv pump and pick up?or can i use sohc pick up on my ohv pump?i have a high flow pump so i don't wanna get ride of it?!!!!

How exactly are those silencer holes on the bottom of the M90 being filled by the guys at 3800performance? Please tell me TIG welded aluminum blanks and not a JB weld or epoxy job. The only reason I ask this is that I have some Eaton blower porting experience and have seen allot of other home porters using some substandard materials to fill those holes.

I'm sure you will be able to pull off the pan and oil pump swap. Its not going to be a comfortable thing though. I can hardly wait to read your comments after going thru it.

I'm not understanding the P&P of the supercharger though. Are you not going to be worried about too much boost, and looking for a larger pulley?

No not at all.im going to loose a little because of all the p+p of the heads and lower intake and maybe even from the cam.the new unit runs about 1-2 more boost but allows you to run more boost.it runs 38* cooler with the same pulley and makes more power.that's the main reason.also the snout is getting turned down to fit SMALLER pulleys.on a grand prix it has a larger pulley and smaller motor.so the charger is set up to run a 3.8 and 6lbs of boost.on a 4.0 it ran 4lbs with a 3.2 pulley but given that the intake manifold was so small it was probably choking,I've seen them run 4lbs on a stock 3.8 pulley and a stock 4.0.if you go any smaller than a 2.7 you have to mill the snout to fit a smaller pulley.im thinking with my motor and the new charger,new intake manifold and with a 3.2 i should be around 5-6.im going to run that till i get w/m then im going to put a 2.7 and see what happens,im thinking around 10psi .
im fabbing up a new intake manifold,its going to be out of three inch pipe witch is close to the 75mm inlet of the charger.my tb is only 66mm though witch i would think should be fine for my application

How exactly are those silencer holes on the bottom of the M90 being filled by the guys at 3800performance? Please tell me TIG welded aluminum blanks and not a JB weld or epoxy job. The only reason I ask this is that I have some Eaton blower porting experience and have seen allot of other home porters using some substandard materials to fill those holes.

Ill have to ask.i have read about people using the non quick dry jb weld before but never seen any long term effects of it.i could see how things would be very bad if it wiggled out!!!only hole i asked about was the egr as i don't have it.he said must people just buy a block off plate and never worry about it.it is blocked off by my lower mounting plate anyways so only reason i said anything about it is because i read the hole can cause air turbulence/heat.any advice if i should just leave it alone or make sure he is blank and tig welding it?

Ill have to ask.i have read about people using the non quick dry jb weld before but never seen any long term effects of it.i could see how things would be very bad if it wiggled out!!!only hole i asked about was the egr as i don't have it.he said must people just buy a block off plate and never worry about it.it is blocked off by my lower mounting plate anyways so only reason i said anything about it is because i read the hole can cause air turbulence/heat.any advice if i should just leave it alone or make sure he is blank and tig welding it?

Just throw a block off plate on there on the outside for the EGR. No reason to go through the effort of paying for something else to he TIG welded on there.

Would it be possible for you to explain what some of the hole on the bottom are and witch ones i need going through my mounting plate?i know or think one is the egr and one is crank vent.here is a pic of the mount,you can see only two holes
7-2.jpg

Would it be possible for you to explain what some of the hole on the bottom are and witch ones i need going through my mounting plate?i know or think one is the egr and one is crank vent.here is a pic of the mount,you can see only two holes
7-2.jpg

I was referring to the bottom of the blower itself, not the lower intake manifold that it bolts to. If you post a picture of the bottom of your blower I will tell you which holes and passages perform what function.

I was referring to the bottom of the blower itself, not the lower intake manifold that it bolts to. If you post a picture of the bottom of your blower I will tell you which holes and passages perform what function.

;)
bottom.jpg

the hole in the bottom of this inlet shot,the first smaller one is the hole i was talking about being filled
inlethole.jpg

and what i wish my outlet looked like
outletpp.jpg

pics from 3800 performance ported unit

Here you go. As mentioned in the attached picture, I don't see their point to removing that one section of material. It may look "pretty" but I question its functionality especially considering that the rotor bearings are located directly adjacent to this area. Unless they have specifically tested blower IAT's before and after removing that section and it provide substantial reductions then I would suggest you ask them to retain it.

Attachments

• bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 1,407

It looks like the intake manifold has to be as high as it currently is, correct?
Kinda look out of my relm unless I am willing to hammer my firewall back, cut a hole in my hood, and loose air conditioning. A bit too much of a trade off for me.
I need to learn how to weld. then turbo would be a possibility.

It looks like the intake manifold has to be as high as it currently is, correct?
Kinda look out of my relm unless I am willing to hammer my firewall back, cut a hole in my hood, and loose air conditioning. A bit too much of a trade off for me.
I need to learn how to weld. then turbo would be a possibility.

I think the hood is fine its the fire wall.even though im using a 3" pipe im doing it alot different .he used a 2" pipe but it went bent and put together weird so it took up like 3-4".mine should be about the same or smaller and i have a 3" bl so have a little more clearance.also ain't nothing but a smack or two with a bfh to dent the wall..the tbird ones fit fine so if you could find a tbird lower mount you would be golden.FI is very expensive tho!!

Yup, I can see that. Everything. Even stuff I didn't think of like fuel management. I thought a bigger fuel pump, and you would be good to go.

So many little things.

If your making a new mount to the lower intake, make sure you keep your plans. Then I could just have a different top plate made to fit something else.

What I think I'd like to do is get 24 lb injectors, and have my tune done with the maf and injectors installed. Then, if I go FI, the tune should still leave my truck sort of driveable.

I'd love to do this, it would be way fun. Its just tough to do with a daily driver.

I don't think im even going to try.they are doing my plates and my welding for me and **** ain't cheap!!!couldn't even imaging what they would charge for a lower intake!!:(but again they do gov work sooooooo

I hear ya. Id do the same.

It does seem the key to even starting this is that intaake to mount the sc to.

I think I might post back in that dead end thread you posted with rpcaster starting an OHV kit. He has plans for a sc mount to OHV. It might even be the tbird m90.

There are so many of these threads that go so far, and then just dead end without completion. At least if there is sucess, its never posted.

Think it might be a m112 even better

Think it might be a m112 even better

There is no need to put an M112 on a 4.0 OHV or SOHC engine unless said engine is built to the hilt and you plan on boosting the absolute hell out of it. Anything less will not spin the blower enough into its range of efficiency and the result will be less horsepower gained per pound of boost due to the larger mechanical drag of the larger blower rotors. Allot of those guys on Rangerpowersports and Therangerstation don't seem to be able to comprehend that yet even though I have posted plotted compressor efficiency maps illustrating the point. They aren't all idiots over there, but I would take any performance and forced induction tech advice received on those sites with a grain of salt. The Eaton M90 blower is just fine for the 4.0 engines in the Explorer and Ranger.

Back