3800 M90 Build | Page 33 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3800 M90 Build

Ok the cats out the bag!!im going supercharged .its a 3800 gm m90.i need lots of help as im a nos guy.for starters my list of mods is in my signature.the guy im buying it from ran it on a stock tuned motor at 3psi.first question is what is the "safe" limit to run boost at?i know it is not ideal but i have a wide band O2 and will be doing tuning very soon.i also will be trying to have my company make a new lower intake mounting bracket on the cnc machine and have it taped for nos/water meth injectors/spray bars.i will also be getting a p+p unit from 3800 performance and stepping down on the pulley to try and run 8-10psi.what size injectors should i run for that?which fuel pump should i run?any suggestions on tuning?i was going to go mega squirt but i see sct has a new chip out,any suggestions?

DONE

ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

dyno run,these was the last two pulls with the 2.7 and the alternator was bad.turn your volume down!!

and a 3.25 pull and think my rev is still set to 5000 in this one

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Again great work. You get better gas mileage now than i do lol :D

Thanks man;)i have a feeling once i put the 2.7 on and do some city driving it will be a whole different story tho!!!:(

You should post up some pics of the finished product. Very impressed with your creation dude.

ok the update everyone wants.its DONE:D:D:D:Ddidnt really run into any problems,went just as planned.only one thing that i didnt expect was one spark plug wire is too short.i have Manacore wires so im going to give them a call and have them send me a new wire.that one seemed to arc off the block when it got wet anyways.i do still have some to do tho.need to hook the pcv,change the plugs,engine oil and new belts.hopefully he will have the base tune done Monday and its going in on Tuesday for the dyno tune ;)im really happy with the way it turned out,it looks FREAKN SICK!!!!!:D:Dits killing me not being able to start it:(
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

:burnout::burnout:

You should post up some pics of the finished product. Very impressed with your creation dude.
Some on page 1 and the rest start on page 28;)

Ah, I meant a smoky burnout. Probably not the best idea until you get all your parts for the tranny swap though.

Would be good to see some pics of the whole truck not close-ups. The whole package...

Hmmm, double post...

Attachments

• images (5).jpg
    images (5).jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 269

Ah, I meant a smoky burnout. Probably not the best idea until you get all your parts for the tranny swap though.

Would be good to see some pics of the whole truck not close-ups. The whole package...

your not going to see any burnouts with these tires,at over $400 a piece there is no way im doing that.maybe on some bald stockers or something.im also rethinking the manual swap after this trip,i just dont wanna wheel a manual really.sooo much harder :(here is a cool pic from the trip
5C8C162C-D189-4881-A2AE-754D2B530403.jpg

5R? 700R? What you thinking? Nice pic BTW, that dog looks pretty happy too.

The manual swap is going to make it a lot harder for the dog to drive. ;)

hahah o man you cant leave the truck running or he will throw it in gear or roll the windows up on you.he will start honking the horn if you leave him in there to long!!!!!im not really having any trouble with my a4 but its built with like stage 2 stuff.im thinking i may build a stage 3 hybrid a4:scratch:

hahah o man you cant leave the truck running or he will throw it in gear or roll the windows up on you.he will start honking the horn if you leave him in there to long!!!!!im not really having any trouble with my a4 but its built with like stage 2 stuff.im thinking i may build a stage 3 hybrid a4:scratch:

LOL! that cool. I like the idea of the built A4.

all and all im VERY happy with the truck,was it worth all the cash????well to your average person,absolutely not!!!BUT to me it is now,the money would have been spent on something else and this truck aint going no where for awile and has put a smile on my face every time i have driven it.who can put a price on happiness especially when it keeps giving.plus come on its FREAKN SICK!!not one person that has looked at it not gone"DAMN THATS SICK"!and as far as i know i AM the only first gen GM-supercharged- intercooled- m90 in the world:D:Dlol ill post some updates when i get this extra pulley figured out
:burnout::burnout::burnout:

Glad to see that your enjoying your work, I had great friends help me on my journey. As for your intercooler temps and what you have I done I might have to call you one day and pick your brain on this. I too recently sorted out ALOT of bugs and have begun to enjoi boost. Is it possible we could get possibly a flyby video of this thing? I am very curious to what it sounds like.

Glad to see that your enjoying your work, I had great friends help me on my journey. As for your intercooler temps and what you have I done I might have to call you one day and pick your brain on this. I too recently sorted out ALOT of bugs and have begun to enjoi boost. Is it possible we could get possibly a flyby video of this thing? I am very curious to what it sounds like.

Man i dont know where i could even get a stretch of road long enough.may get some quick drive by tho.didnt really have any bugs just gota get the belt slip fixed,i have the pulley and everything just need to install it

Can you hear and supercharger whine over your exhaust note JD? Id expect you can. Im also interested what your sc would sound like.

Not sure why mines starting to growl. Not happy about it, that's for sure. I was pretty careful not to damage the bearings inserting them, but who knows whats up at the moment.

Can you hear and supercharger whine over your exhaust note JD? Id expect you can. Im also interested what your sc would sound like.

Not sure why mines starting to growl. Not happy about it, that's for sure. I was pretty careful not to damage the bearings inserting them, but who knows whats up at the moment.

Not really!! its SOOOOO damn loud.with the hood up you can slightly or with the windows up you barley can.Im going to change the muffler out to a 50series soon,its to damn loud!!with the 2.7 on it surges alot more because of the half blocked by pass and you can hear it whine as it surges,everyone thinks it sounds cool as Hell when its doing that but i find it annoying personally,i dont mind a lumpy idle but it surges from like 800-1200 back and forth.it aint a vacation leak either,barley does it with the 3.25 tho,i normally will turn the idle up to 1000 so the aic isnt going crazy trying to smooth it out.tuner said there was nothing he could do,said the iac doesnt have that much range or move fast enought to smooth it out.its just the cam and that by pass being half blocked.
man that sucks,why i went with a complete rebuild .sure didnt want to mess with it or take it apart again.they sell rebuilt snouts pretty cheap and guessing your do the snout and blades all at once? all and all i aint had no problems besides this belt slip witch Im going to fix soon.i going to order some good belts also,these dyco crap is know to slip also:(

I agree on the dayco. My preference is the goodyear gatorback.

Your right, I'm hoping to hold back on the snout rebuild (If that's where the noise is coming from) till the rotor pack comes in. I just bought another M90 for $100.00 as a backup. Shipping will probably be $70.00, so $170.00. Then if the grinding gets too bad, I can temporarily swap it out. At least I won't have the down time. Its not tough to change out the M90. Just a pita.
Or, I find a place to send my powder coated unit to and have the blades and inner housing coated at the same time. Big money though. I'm not sure I'm willing to throw that much cash at it though.

JD, I just found this over on rangerpowersports. This guy has a 2009 (SOHC) with M90 and has had his setup dynoed. Here's his specs:
2009 4.0 Sport-Dropped 5/7 (ish)
Eaton M90 Supercharger=220hp/280ft.lbs
18x7 (225/60) and 18x9 (255/55) Polished Showwheel Streeters
One-piece Projector/Halo Headlights
K&N Intake
JBA Headers
Flowmaster 40
4.10 LSD

He's at 220hp, so your numbers are pretty darn good! Incredible, really.

JD, I just found this over on rangerpowersports. This guy has a 2009 (SOHC) with M90 and has had his setup dynoed. Here's his specs:
2009 4.0 Sport-Dropped 5/7 (ish)
Eaton M90 Supercharger=220hp/280ft.lbs
18x7 (225/60) and 18x9 (255/55) Polished Showwheel Streeters
One-piece Projector/Halo Headlights
K&N Intake
JBA Headers
Flowmaster 40
4.10 LSD

He's at 220hp, so your numbers are pretty darn good! Incredible, really.
Well he is losing about 15hp from those 18" wheels but yea i easily could have put 220 down.if i had him put that 20hp-ish back in he took out and had belt slip fixed.ive seen a x with a 5.0 &m90 on you tube and he only put down like 245hp on 18" tires.like my tuner said i easily could be putting down 280ish with stock tires.he estimated i was around 330-350ish at crank as is.

I agree on the dayco. My preference is the goodyear gatorback.

Your right, I'm hoping to hold back on the snout rebuild (If that's where the noise is coming from) till the rotor pack comes in. I just bought another M90 for $100.00 as a backup. Shipping will probably be $70.00, so $170.00. Then if the grinding gets too bad, I can temporarily swap it out. At least I won't have the down time. Its not tough to change out the M90. Just a pita.
Or, I find a place to send my powder coated unit to and have the blades and inner housing coated at the same time. Big money though. I'm not sure I'm willing to throw that much cash at it though.

There is a company that makes belts for sc and they are the best.let me find it,zzperformance did a belt test and also redesigned the pulley to have more grip.they got sued because someone said they stole there protype but ansi or something like that is looking at it to put it in production for a new pulley design standard .

There is a company that makes belts for sc and they are the best.let me find it,zzperformance did a belt test and also redesigned the pulley to have more grip.they got sued because someone said they stole there protype but ansi or something like that is looking at it to put it in production for a new pulley design standard .

This is interesting, I reached out to them when I could not find a gatorback locally for awhile (I found one finally) thinking a different pulley would help as I was not eating gates/napa belts but just stretching them to point of squeak all the time status. So far the gatorback is working with my variable 7-8psi max. for more than 2 days (which was the average time it took a gates/napa belt to chirp). were the pulleys from zz costly?

Back