• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

3D printed tools & replacement parts.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
At one time, owning a 3D printer was something only colleges, large companies, universities or wealthy people could own. Now with low priced machines comparable to the cost of an average ink or laser printer, it's been in the price range for the average person to own.

There are many people uploading their designs for people to print or remix into something else. Here's an example of a tool which I made by remixing two designs: Driver handle for a Harbor Freight 06770 gasket punch set. by BrooklynBay

Attachments

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
Pretty neat gadget to have! I was just thinking about a 3d printed floor shift replacement bezel the other day when I was repairing mine full of cracks and blown out screw holes.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
It comes in handy for making things which are almost impossible without special super expensive machinery. My tool set would be useless without the ability to make a custom replacement part. I once saw a Youtube video of Jay Leno's garage. He has an amazing team custom making parts for his antique cars. He needed an engine part for a steam powered car that they custom manufactured for him.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
Here's another example of a printed part coming in handy where it's difficult to locate a replacement. I was working on my A4LD valve body, and saw that I needed accumulator pucks. I did a search online, and found several places selling them very cheap but the shipping charges are 6 to 10 times the price of the part before tax! Shipping also takes a week or more. Here's a link if somebody wants to download the file: Ford A4LD transmission valve body accumulator puck. by BrooklynBay.

Attachments

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
There are printers capable of printing very high temperature plastics, metals, concrete mix, human organs, food, etc. The technology has improved since it was created around 30 years ago. Large machines which cost as much as a car years ago have shrunk in size & price. There are kits for people to custom make their own machine. The machine which I use is an old, discontinued model, and wasn't perfect when I bought it used. It was upgraded with more modern parts from several manufacturers to make a customized model.

LorenzoGarbanzo

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac XLT
There are printers capable of printing very high temperature plastics, metals, concrete mix, human organs, food, etc. The technology has improved since it was created around 30 years ago. Large machines which cost as much as a car years ago have shrunk in size & price. There are kits for people to custom make their own machine. The machine which I use is an old, discontinued model, and wasn't perfect when I bought it used. It was upgraded with more modern parts from several manufacturers to make a customized model.
I agree, it's amazing how far the tech has come. At one of my current gigs, we're using 3d printed prototypes of our product to test fitment in customer installations before having the injection molds made. They look great and work great. The only reason for molding is for cost over time & production speed.

I gave it a shot about 5 years ago on a cheap printer and found it absolutely frustrating and returned the unit. Never could get the bed level or get things sticking properly after a couple of uses. Thankfully if I need something I can go to our library or the local RC hobby shop and get something printed. May try buying my own again soon.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
Here's something which I've wanted to do for many years but wasn't capable of until now. I was able to design & print a set of rear tailhousing plugs for the A4LD transmission. They might fit other Ford transmissions as well. This prevents fluid from leaking while the driveshaft is removed. The tool is also good as a desktop pen holder when it's not being used for anything else. I have more information here: A4LD tailhousing plug set. by BrooklynBay

Attachments