• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

3D Printer: Most unbelievable gizmo ever

GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
My lifespan of 50+ years has seen unbelievable changes in technology and I thought nothing would surprize me anymore. But this is straight out of Star Trek. I'm speechless.

http://youtu.be/ZboxMsSz5Aw

This has to be a prank, right? No way this can actually be real ?!?!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
Give them a few years, units will be available in a price range that suits normal people that would be around the size one needs to print things the size of a 1:24 scale model car.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
Eventually, shopping online will change completely. You will see a photo of something, then instead of buying the actual item, you will download the CAD program to replicate the item. It's similar to the idea of eBooks. Instead of purchasing a book online, you download a PDF of a book, and you have an option to either view it on your computer or print a hard copy.

YBCold

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ×∟┬
imagine all the spare parts you could make!

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
imagine the piracy concerns

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
A lot of things wouldn't have value anymore. There will no longer be something that is "one of a kind". Everything has pros & cons. This is a great device that could be a life saver for astronauts. They could use this on a mission to Mars. All that they would need is a supply of powder cartridges. It's also possible to alter the CAD program to change the scale of the item. The wrench in that video was set to replicate in the same scale. They could increase or decrease the actual size once the computer has all of the 3D information stored from the actual item. The color of one part was easily changed in the video.

FLOffroad

Reaction score
City, State
Wasatch, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
Forester; 08 ST sold :(
Companies will absolutely go insane if these ever get into people's houses because you'll never have to buy crap from manufacturers or big companies again.
The gov'll probably ban them because it would ruin the economy. Walmart would fail in about a week.

Awesome technology though, I'd love one.

EDIT - Woah! That nextengine one is available for only $3k.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD

College Student

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indinapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 EB
At Butler they have a dual degree program where you get a Butler degree and a Purdue degree by taking classes at Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis and I remember a year and a half ago they told us not to touch the 3d printer because its super expensive. If costs keep going down maybe i can have one of these in my house by the time i graduate

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

College Student

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indinapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 EB
they might at the moment i haven't been over there too much i start my courses where ill be attending classes there next year, but there were all sorts of things, like a mini atv and a rubrics cube, if i ever have classes in there ill be more than happy to post everything i build