• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

3D Printer: Most unbelievable gizmo ever

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
That was cool, I don't know how the building was made but it is cool to see it made. And the others are cool too. Thanks for posting those because they were interesting.

Here is something I saw just today and it is cool. D.J.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
Thanks for posting that video. I usually use a plain grid for the infill in 10 to 25% unless I want a tougher part. I use solid 100% infill for those things but they take a long time to print, and use a lot of filament. The type of filament also makes a difference. PLA is stiff compared to nylon which is more flexible. PLA will not take severe abuse while nylon could be bent without cracking. PLA is limited to low temperature use (except for high temperature PLA). Nylon, PETG, and ABS could be used in places where the temperature is higher. Everything has its use so no plastic is universal.

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
Yea I thought you would like the video, I don't know exactly how he did it but he does explain in the video. He does a lot of 3-D printer and print testing. The only thing that runs me off with Nylon though is it's tendency to absorb water quickly and if left long enough it will mess up prints. But I like how PETG is easy to print when set up correctly too.

DJ.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
Very Smart, I just don't want to deal with getting a dehydrator, but I didn't think of using silicate packets so thank you for telling me. I actually plan on making a model of a car using images in 3ds max and print it. I'm gonna make it as detailed as possible but it will only be worked on in my free time in class so it might be a low poly version. It might take a while but I will show the finished product when it is done.

D.J.

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
That's really cool, I can't wait to see the big version of that making massive parts that are used for cars or buildings. It's crazy how fast 3D printing has evolved. There is a car that was made by an AI, and the only way the car could be made is if they were to 3D print the parts. It's soo cool to see the parts as well because they are made from an AI and look like something found in nature. I can't wait to see them print with liquid metal instead of using lasers to melt the layers together.

DJ.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
It's amazing that they are able to 3d print highly stressed components already. The Bugatti Veyron's brake caliper is a great example.

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
Ditto, hopefully not too far off, we can start making things like brackets which hold accessories etc. Light weight non structural parts are one thing, but strong objects are harder to make with the current consumer machines so far.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

sport trac jr.

Reaction score
City, State
P
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac
$50 says that if they ever make a viable body part printer, within 3 months, companies will be making these types of machines specifically for penis enlargement.... and those will be the best selling versions.
Are you saying you can make a "New Johnson " with this and where do you get them........lol

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH