• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

3D Printer: Most unbelievable gizmo ever

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
the price per cartridge is insane though...

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
the price per cartridge is insane though...

Not Really, think of what a ink jet cartridge costs. The technology is pretty amazing in it self. Pretty soon you will buy things and print them out. UPS and Fed Ex will be SOL

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
Not Really, think of what a ink jet cartridge costs. The technology is pretty amazing in it self. Pretty soon you will buy things and print them out. UPS and Fed Ex will be SOL

Yeah, but also think of how much you can print with an inkjet or laserjet cartridge... Those cartridges have the plastic media in them that is used to create the objects, and you buy the glue separately. I doubt you could make much more than a pair of those shoes they have pictured with a cartridge, if even that. If you look at the more expensive printers, the cost of the glue and plastic media is generally lower. I'm not trying to get down on this too bad. It's an awesome product, but I just don't like how much those cartridges cost for what you are getting. I guess the bright side is, that if that printer becomes popular, there will be someone releasing a generic brand cartridge in no time for half the cost. Probably in better or easier to paint colors too.

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
Yeah, but also think of how much you can print with an inkjet or laserjet cartridge... Those cartridges have the plastic media in them that is used to create the objects, and you buy the glue separately. I doubt you could make much more than a pair of those shoes they have pictured with a cartridge, if even that. If you look at the more expensive printers, the cost of the glue and plastic media is generally lower. I'm not trying to get down on this too bad. It's an awesome product, but I just don't like how much those cartridges cost for what you are getting. I guess the bright side is, that if that printer becomes popular, there will be someone releasing a generic brand cartridge in no time for half the cost. Probably in better or easier to paint colors too.

This is just the beginning.;)

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
Compare a replacement inkjet cartridge for a retail price in a store such as Staples to a seller on EBay. You will pay $2 or $3 for a cartridge that Staples sells for $12 - $22. This company has preselected programs to print specific objects. A nice utility should have a 3D scanner take pictures of an object, scan them into a computer, then allow you to select the size & color of the printed object. You could start with something simple such as a button, then go to more complicated things such as car parts or machine parts that are obsolete.

rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
At the speed of technology I'm wondering if you buy one this year at X $$ then before the years even out, a better and cheaper one comes out?
And that could describe about all modern electronically gadgetry.
But that's a good thing.

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
I meant to post this a while back, but I just got reminded of it today...

Thought you might like it

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
..They announced in the news within the last week or so that a Gunsmith made a working assault rifle using a 3d printer of about the $1000 dollar range...

delexploder

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Greenwood De.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 ford explorer sport
The last place I worked had a real one and they also had the one that uses a laser and a vat of goo.

Anime

EF YEAH!!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 EX Sport Concept
This is pretty standard as a prototype building method for engineers, a (relatively) inexpensive method to get a model of the prototype for visual use.

They just use plastic/resin and other such materials though, it's not like you can "print" a cast steel wrench or an alloy aluminum auto part. But you could certainly use the prototype to make a mold to cast stuff from.

I'll get excited when the 3D "printers" can even come close to a real CNC machine.

GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
wow

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
Wow...

colintrax

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Have any of you guys actually used one? As cool as they are, they have their limits. Tolerances aren't the tightest, the size of the part can be limited depending on the model. Both large and small. The plastics tend to not be real strong (not terribly weak though). Metals (which it can't exactly do) are real weak, and even looser tolerances.
And of course the cost... it aint cheap.
Surface texture is rough, not as bad as sand casted but closer to that than anything else.
I've made a few parts for 1 off, none structural stuff. But if you're going to actually use it, I'd suggest you send the CAD file like a casting file, and machine it to the dimensions you need. Unless of course the tolerances are loose enough that the 3D printer can hold em.

GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
Nope, and I doubt I ever will. However, I've been keeping up on 3D projects and of particular interest at this time is 3D printed firearms (including AR15 lowers). I am aware of someone that has produced rifle magazines that have worked for several rounds and expect improvements in the technology and materials to be able to do this in the near future.... there's already a lot of talk on some gun forums and trading of the CAD files between members to get that done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
I'm sure that the price will come down to an affordable level just like other electronic items. Back in the days when personal computers were becoming popular, an average computer was between $2K - $3K. Small CRT monitors were $500 - $800. Dot matrix printers were $300 - $500. You could expect to see more advanced versions of these printers within the next 5 - 8 years going for a few hundred dollars. Of course large versions will be in the thousand range just like huge office copy machines which still cost about $4K.