• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

3D Printer: Most unbelievable gizmo ever

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
I could show you plastics and composites stronger and harder than steel...

And some printers can do ridiculously fine detail, they are just expensive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

YBCold

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ×∟┬
theyre trying to make a 3D printer that can print a 3d printer. and make guns but i think i could have alot of fun printing out anything i wanted

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
This is pretty standard as a prototype building method for engineers, a (relatively) inexpensive method to get a model of the prototype for visual use.

They just use plastic/resin and other such materials though, it's not like you can "print" a cast steel wrench or an alloy aluminum auto part. But you could certainly use the prototype to make a mold to cast stuff from.

I'll get excited when the 3D "printers" can even come close to a real CNC machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsmiIeAkE-o&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT63OOLADU8

colintrax

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
The tolerances and properties aren't the same. While it would be awesome, if you need to make a metal prototype a CNC mill would be better.
Maybe some day, but not yet.

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
http://www.popsci.com/technology/ar...-distributed-now-open-business?src=SOC&dom=fb

Just in case you are wondering how far we are from commercially viable 3D printers that can make functional and durable end user products, like... let's say, firearms.

In case you haven't seen it before, a video of a partially 3D printed gun from the same company.... as it goes through 6 100 round magazines.

Still think those 3D printers cost too much and can't print good stuff? :D

Ask yourself how much that receiver costs to buy... then ask how many other useful things you could print that take a lot less stress than that does.

Anime

EF YEAH!!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 EX Sport Concept
Metal printing is being experimented with, sure, but as they say in the video, it's still a ways off from being implemented, and even farther off before it becomes consumer level. Still, great stuff for making prototypes or low volumes of whatever you dream up.

The 600+ round printed lower receiver vid made the rounds on news programs not long ago with the recent school shootings and gun control legislation push. Wither gun control, indeed. Stuff like that might just hinder the tech and get people in power to put roadblocks in the way, or even ban 3D printing for consumer use altogether if they get to spin it's primary use as weapons manufacturing.

TexasArmadillo

Reaction score
City, State
N 29.554349 W 95.295959
Year, Model & Trim Level
10' Explorer XLT
This along with 4d is very exciting stuff. However i think copyright laws will need to be re- taught. How will folks protect the creative integrity of their creation?

Juggling more fur balls than a constipated cat.

colintrax

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
You have to be able to use some kinda CAD program if you wanna use a 3d printer, so it's not like most people will be using these.

I HIGHLY doubt 3d printers will be banned because it can make guns. Might as well ban mills and lathes. And hey, why not sand. Don't want people sand casting guns :D

TexasArmadillo

Reaction score
City, State
N 29.554349 W 95.295959
Year, Model & Trim Level
10' Explorer XLT
You don't need CAD exclusively to upload a 3d spec. There is an app out there that can scan an imagine.

I agree with the idea of the lathe idea. However, if those that want to regulate it get to it before folks know what it is. I think we could then see some restrictions.

Edit: The app is called 123d Catch.

Juggling more fur balls than a constipated cat.

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
You have to be able to use some kinda CAD program if you wanna use a 3d printer, so it's not like most people will be using these.

I HIGHLY doubt 3d printers will be banned because it can make guns. Might as well ban mills and lathes. And hey, why not sand. Don't want people sand casting guns :D

There are already a LOT of open source 3D print designs, including a few for gun parts.

The point the guy was trying to make that has been making these is that with a 3D printer, ANYONE can make a weapon, regardless of their skill level, with cheap and readily available consumer goods. Last I checked, mills and lathes are fairly expensive and require a lot of room and skill to operate. Casting requires a furnace and also takes quite a bit of skill, and a blank to cast from, then quite a bit of precision machining.

Comparing a 3d printer to mills, lathes, and casting is like saying "Well anyone can make an atomic weapon, all they need is nuclear enrichment facilities, high grade explosives and an idea how to put them together."

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I saw the plastic gun on the news. Congress is already working on outlawing printed guns:banghead:

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
I saw the plastic gun on the news. Congress is already working on outlawing printed guns:banghead:

It is already illegal to make a gun that cannot be detected by a metal detector. That is why the new liberator has 2 metal parts in it.

~Mark

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
I don't think that they will have too much control on what somebody will be able to print in the comfort of their home. I'm sure that there will be CAD files in torrent form that people will download. Advanced users will be able to write their own CAD files. These 3D printers will make everything from spare body parts to weapons. The price keeps dropping as the technology advances.

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.