• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

3D Printer: Most unbelievable gizmo ever

Anime

EF YEAH!!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 EX Sport Concept
I don't think that they will have too much control on what somebody will be able to print in the comfort of their home. I'm sure that there will be CAD files in torrent form that people will download. Advanced users will be able to write their own CAD files. These 3D printers will make everything from spare body parts to weapons. The price keeps dropping as the technology advances.

Laws aren't about preventing people from doing things, they're about justifying punishing them for doing something you didn't want them to.

It is about control, though. In this case, I wonder if it's less about public safety issues and more about products made that aren't taxed or regulated. Same thing goes for growing your own vegetables vs. buying them at the store.

Department Of Defense Is Spending Millions Trying to 3D-Print Weapons

Not surprising. The government does a lot of things it tells everyone else not to do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I'm waiting until they come out with the Pumpkin Orange edition. Very cool, but they could have lowered their cost by $200 if they only offered it in one color ;)

Looking forward to the first self replicating machine:eek:

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
These machines lack the feature of a 3D scanner to copy an existing object. Let's say that you have a small object or a part, and you want to make a second one, you'll have to manually measure its physical dimensions, then draw the object on a computer, then enter the original object's measurements into a CAD file, and then print it. A 3D scanner could convert the original object's attributes directly into a CAD file to print.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
Here's a 3D scanner: http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/04/new-443-3d-scanner-on-sale-looks-awesome-shoots-lasers/

ScanBeauty_600px.jpg

Photon_open_600px.jpg

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
So far they make 3D printers capable of printing objects in monochrome or two colors. I'm sure that it will become more popular when the price drops, and they come out with multicolor models. There's a lot of competition, so we'll see a lot of new models coming out on a regular basis.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Awesome, they can print sugar guns. it will drive D.C. crazy ;)

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Now if I could only use 3d modeling programs... I guess that's the next thing to teach myself:eek:

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
I'm sure that the user interface will improve as it becomes more common. It's looks like they are making everything with these machines now: http://www.electronicproducts.com/P...rinter_to_create_tiny_powerful_batteries.aspx
The advantage is that there is no wasted material, and you don't have to worry about cutting blades becoming dull. The machine produces the exact item's dimensions, and you don't have to clean up any mess.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I think this would be a cool way to make custom emblems.

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
I think this would be a cool way to make custom emblems.

Indeed. 3D printers, once they come into their own, are going to be a HUGE thing for the custom car or restoration market. Difficult to find parts that are hard to reproduce using the traditional methods? Not as much of a problem. "Print" a replacement for that piece of trim, emblem or knob. These tiny batteries? The possibilities are endless for things one can do with them.

Although, I'll admit. My brain didn't go to custom emblems. I was thinking more of custom implants into places like your eyes to add HUD to your vision that could integrate with smart phones, computers or driving systems.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
The article about the different medias available was very interesting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.