• Register Today It's free!

3rd brake light not working

limited11x

Reaction score
City, State
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 ford explorer
This is my first post. I'll start out saying it's my wife 2011 limited explorer. It is the dark grey color. We love it. Has about 84,XXL miles.

Need a little he runs figuring out how to get the 3rd brake light out to change the bulbs. Can anyone help? I have done some research on Google and searched the forums and nothing.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum limited11x.:wavey:
If you check your Owner's Guide you will see that it shows LED and no bulb type. This leads me to believe it is an LED strip, although I can't be sure. It also denotes that to replace this, to see your dealer. Fordparts.com lists it at $112.05 and it looks like a complete unit.

Peter

Attachments

• High Mount Stop Light_001.JPG
    High Mount Stop Light_001.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 464

Do they make a Chilton s for this year body style? I need to know if you have to get the spoiler off to get to the bolts to get it out. Or is there a fuse relay something to check first?

I just pulled mine off to add a 3rd brake light flasher. It has 4 nuts under the hatch that are easily seen, 4 plastic panel clips with the barbs not the metal ones. And 1 hidden nut that the top window trim needs to come off to access.
The light housing is bolted in place.

I’ve removed the 5 12 point nuts and I’m wiggling the spoiler so that I can remove it to swap in a new dna motor black housing brake light. The spoiler seems to be very well attached still. Can anyone tell me where the adhesive is? I’m thinking some heat may help but I can’t see it and I don’t know where to focus the heat to help it release.

Doesn’t actually look like there is an adhesive as suggested in one of the threads. I found this video and I’m not sure if I want this part enough to go through all of this :)

Hi Mike. Do you have a picture of the part you want to install? Is that much different than the OEM?

Peter

Just went through it all and fitment is garbage so we’ll be sticking with the OEM part. This is the part we had (already shipped it back)

Back