• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gear gone on 2002 4.6

sharonis3

Reaction score
City, State
New Brunswick
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Eddie V8, 02 Ltd V8
3rd gear is gone.... In second if I Rev up to 4,000 and blip the gas she will go into 4th.... then she shifts into 5th normally.....
Band or Solenoid....
Here is error from code reader:

P0745 Generic Pressure Contril Solenoid A
STFT B1(%) 2.3
LTFT B1(%) 6.3
STFT B2(%) -2.3
LTFT B2(%) 7.0
Engine RPM 2448

What does this all mean?
bad solenoid pack?
Broken band?

She has 150,000 miles...
Has had the “Flair” on the 1-2 shift for years.... not getting worse and 1-2nd shift still works.... just no shift into 3rd...

What to do first?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say it is related to the intermediate band. It is the only component that is exclusive to 3rd gear.

5r55chart.JPG

The chart I have shows solenoid B to be on only in 3rd gear, so I am assuming it is controlling that band. Solenoid A is on in everything except 4th and 5th gear.

I would pull the pan and look for a broken band and ohm out the solenoids. Here is the pin chart and the resistance ranges for the solenoids.

5r55PinDiag_0002.jpg
5r55chart_0001.jpg

If you want great reference on these transmissions, get this book:

Amazon.com: ATSG 5R55S/5R55W Automatic Transmission Repair Manual (5R55S Transmission - 5R55S Transmission Rebuild Kit - 5R55W Filter Best Repair Book Available!): Automotive

I have an idea on how to test if it is the band or the solenoid that is bad.

Just unplug the transmission connector (which is connected to the solenoid pack, you have just to unscrew onr screw and pull it). When you have done that try to put the explorer in "D". If the solenoid is tbe problem it would still move, if it is the band it won't move (bc if the solenoid pack isn't working the transmission will automaticly be in 3rd gear).

I have an idea on how to test if it is the band or the solenoid that is bad.

Just unplug the transmission connector (which is connected to the solenoid pack, you have just to unscrew onr screw and pull it). When you have done that try to put the explorer in "D". If the solenoid is tbe problem it would still move, if it is the band it won't move (bc if the solenoid pack isn't working the transmission will automaticly be in 3rd gear).
Interesting

Yes. I am no mechanic but my solenoid pack want working due to a bad connector, so the transmission only engaged into 3rd gear that's why i know that. I think it should work and should be worth the 10 minutes to try.

Back