• Register Today It's free!

dirtball619

Reaction score
City, State
san diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 eddie b. 4x4 4.6L V8
HEY GUYS,
I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE KNOWS IF THE FRONT AXLE SHAFTS FROM THE 2ND GEN EXPLORERS WOULD FIT THE 3RD GENS. WHAT IM LOOKING TO DO IS POSSIBLY USE THE LONGTRAVEL AXLE SHAFTS FROM THE DIXON BROS RANGER/EXPLORER 4WD KIT IF THEY WILL WORK. I HAVE EMAILED THEM WITH NO RESPONSE. ARE THEY ALL THE SAME FRONT AXLE? SAME SPLINE COUNT?

ANY HELP WOULD BE NICE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure but I think if you called and asked Brandon at BTF he might now. I also know that there is a member on here "carlover" that has a BTF built 2nd gen that seems pretty knowledgeable that might also know.

Well I know the front diffs are a little different between the two Gens, but I believe the spline count is the same (27).

Looks like there are different Ford part numbers for the axle shafts between the different years but they are close (the 3rd gen parts have an "A" or "B" after the part number and the second gens don't).

The parts themselves might be close enough to have them interchange. Probably easiest to go to the parts store and compare them side by side to get a better idea.

HEY GUYS,
I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE KNOWS IF THE FRONT AXLE SHAFTS FROM THE 2ND GEN EXPLORERS WOULD FIT THE 3RD GENS. WHAT IM LOOKING TO DO IS POSSIBLY USE THE LONGTRAVEL AXLE SHAFTS FROM THE DIXON BROS RANGER/EXPLORER 4WD KIT IF THEY WILL WORK. I HAVE EMAILED THEM WITH NO RESPONSE. ARE THEY ALL THE SAME FRONT AXLE? SAME SPLINE COUNT?

ANY HELP WOULD BE NICE

Ok I just looked of some pictures of each type but it looks like the part of the shaft in between the inner and outer CV joint is a lot longer on the 3rd gen than on the 2nd gen. Still probably good to see it in person and compare them side by side though.

I believe the 2nd gens are shorter. The right person can extend the stock axles and re balance them. I have seem this done with success. I was looking into doing long travel along with my lift kit to gain a few inches of width. I actually added .5 of width to the kit I have on now with no issues. I would look into rear shafts of other vehicles that may have the same joint size and trade out the spline side with your stock ones. It would be an easy swap. You would just have to look at several different ones. I know in the rear the right(pass) is 2" longer than the left CV. You could swap sides with that one it get one wheel solved. I have also seen people use spacers behind the hub to space back the CV 1 or so to gain a little.

I wa hoping that they would be the same size. I guess I might have to swing by a Ford dealership and compare them. It would really save me a whole lot of trouble if I could use the custom extended axles from the kit. Are the 2nd gens still the Dana 30 with the 27 spline?

I wa hoping that they would be the same size. I guess I might have to swing by a Ford dealership and compare them. It would really save me a whole lot of trouble if I could use the custom extended axles from the kit. Are the 2nd gens still the Dana 30 with the 27 spline?

Not totally sure but I thought the 2nd gens were dana 35 IFS diffs (reverse rotation). They are 27 spline though.

Back