3rd Gen Air Box Mod | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen Air Box Mod

The airbox mod gives you a bit of a growl under the hood, and for me it seems like it has a little more "get up and go" than before.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you talking about the TB mod or the airbox mod? the TB mod reduces throttle lag and the airbox mod reduces some of the restricted airflow

I missed the part about the TB but either i guess...except wat would cost of the TB part be, and did i miss any pictures

Throttle body mod is cheap. You can trim down the teeth of the existing throttle body spacer for free.

If you don't want to trim your spacer or don't have a dremel tool you can also buy a 99 cent gasket from the auto parts store....it's from a a 2000 Crown Victoria 4.6 or a '97-'99 F-150 5.4L.

Installation involves popping the old washers out of your existing gasket and using them just underneath the TB screw heads to make up the space...see post #31 here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1734003&postcount=31

Took me about 10 mins from start to finish. Plus you can save the original gasket so you can go back to stock if you need to.

and for the air box after choping it apart wouldn't i just be adding hot air from the engine compartment and after doing this it doesn't affect future cold air intake, Am i all correct on this?

It does add hot air during stop and go, city type driving. When moving continuously the air temps are almost the same as ambient.

I never cut my airbox but I did take the tube off that directs air from behind the headlight into the box. Intake air temps did go up faster and higher than they did with the airbox isolated from the engine compartment (with the tube in place).

I did not notice any loss of power (based on butt dyno results) due to introducing hotter air in this way.

As far as fuel mileage, theoretically hotter air would improve your mileage numbers because the air is less dense and the computer would add less fuel. I have yet to test and confirm this to see if it holds true for our vehicles, however.

Did this today, along with the TB Mod. Definitely notice a crisper throttle response and my X definitely seems like it wants to get up and go. I can also hear a nice throaty rumble from about 3k rpm upwards. I took a hole saw and a drill and put four holes in the front, and one in the bottom of my airbox, and since I did a complete tune up (complete with K&N drop-in filter:cool:) Wednesday, I was set.:D

The TB mod worked great for me when I had a stock air intake. After I upgraded to my open filter intake the throttle lag came back.
Posted via Mobile Device

The TB mod worked great for me when I had a stock air intake. After I upgraded to my open filter intake the throttle lag came back.
Posted via Mobile Device

Did you disconnect the battery for a few minutes, and then let it idle for 5 minutes?

Would buying a 70mm throttle body reduce the lag also? I was looking into upgrading the throttle body next after I install the cat back exhaust.

Would buying a 70mm throttle body reduce the lag also? I was looking into upgrading the throttle body next after I install the cat back exhaust.

Not sure on that. It definately will give better performance, but not sure about that... I'll do some research and let you know what I find

Not sure on that. It definately will give better performance, but not sure about that... I'll do some research and let you know what I find

Yeah thanks let me know if you find anything. Im gonna take a look and see what I can find. If it also gets rid of the lag definitely going to get it next.

From a quick research; yes a larger throttle body seems to have a quicker throttle response.

From a quick research; yes a larger throttle body seems to have a quicker throttle response.

Thats what I was seeing also. Sounds good. Now I just gotta research which one to get.

Is it required to disconnect the battery? and the tubing?

disconnecting the battery just kinda resets your computer, if you dont disconnect your battery your computer will have to "learn" the mod where as disconnecting it should adjust when your start it up, some one else could explain it alot better

disconnecting the battery just kinda resets your computer, if you dont disconnect your battery your computer will have to "learn" the mod where as disconnecting it should adjust when your start it up, some one else could explain it alot better

I see what you're saying the computer is use to the stock intake and now that I've done the mod there's more airflow then what the computer is used too. Going to be doing the TB Mod some this week and I'll have to go back and add holes to the back and disconnect the battery. I do have throttle lag though.

I just did this For my cousins v6 ex. I was surprised. It sounded much better than before. Much deeper growl when u floor it. Still like the sound of my v8 tho. Haha.

I just did about 20 holes in the front part of the box, I can't wait to see any improvement tomorrow when I drive my usual routine. For now, I just let the car idling for about 10 min and everything was alright...

I hope I get an additional 1-2 mpg to help my fuel economy because my X is killing me with the 12-13mpg that I'm getting since I got it...

Thanks for all the instructions, :salute:

I just did about 20 holes in the front part of the box, I can't wait to see any improvement tomorrow when I drive my usual routine. For now, I just let the car idling for about 10 min and everything was alright...

I hope I get an additional 1-2 mpg to help my fuel economy because my X is killing me with the 12-13mpg that I'm getting since I got it...

Thanks for all the instructions, :salute:

This may sound wierd but I actually noticed my gas mileage dropped ~1 mpg. I recovered that after I installed a cold air intake.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:( Not the best thing that I wanted to hear after doing this mod... :D

That's alright, if this is the case, hopefully I keep getting the same mpg then... and if not, I will have to start looking on information about the cold air intake... My next mod will be the 1.5 bl next week, so I'll cross my fingers to keep up with the plan... :D

Back