3rd Gen Air Box Mod | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen Air Box Mod

Do you mean the holes that we drilled to do this mod? Plug them back in?

No. Remove the resonator chambers on the intake tube and plug the holes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are two resonators on the intake tube that are held on with metal clamps. One is shaped almost like a "U" and it attaches to the underside of the intake. Take it off, cut the closed ending off and use it to plug that hole. The other one is kinda funny shaped and it's on the outside of the tube closer to the intake. A cap from a bottle of motor oil fits it perfect. Use worm gear clamps on both plugs to keep them from coming out.

i have an idea, i didn't read through all 9 pages, so if its previously mentioned please disregard!

i went to autozone the other day to get a cone filter for my mustang and saw they had all sorts of universal intake parts, MAF housings, bends, straights, and rubber gromets.

here's a bunch of misc piping
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Performance/Intake-Tube/_/N-25n3?viewAll=true

MAF adapters
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Performance/Mass-Air-Flow-Sensor-Adapter/_/N-25nb

and misc couplers and clamps
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Performance/Intake-Coupler/_/N-2615

hope this helps!!

Did anyone else see worse gas mileage after doing this? Maybe its the computer still trying to reset? Or is the MAF sensor no good after I sprayed it with a little carb cleaner?

modified Air box and replacement intake tract should never cause any issue unless there is a leak.

Hands down, my modified airbox + Spectre intake ducting + good filter was my best MPG and seat-o-pant performance gain, by a long shot.

Rob

I realized I didnt disconnect the battery before drilling and when I finished I hopped in :mad:and took off and had excessive fuel consumption, I pray that was the reason

I'm confused what would be occurring, you should expect more fuel consumption with increased air flow

Biggest airflow was from the silencer cone.

Lee_B said:
i have an idea, i didn't read through all 9 pages, so if its previously mentioned please disregard!

i went to autozone the other day to get a cone filter for my mustang and saw they had all sorts of universal intake parts, MAF housings, bends, straights, and rubber gromets.

here's a bunch of misc piping
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Performance/Intake-Tube/_/N-25n3?viewAll=true

MAF adapters
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Performance/Mass-Air-Flow-Sensor-Adapter/_/N-25nb

and misc couplers and clamps
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Performance/Intake-Coupler/_/N-2615

hope this helps!!

Yes this is great! They've the same thing at Pep Boys. I'm gonna do this plus drilling the holes once I'm finished w/ my Stang.

Just did the air box mod this morning. Holy cow! I love it! She sounds great and feels a littler peppier too.

Does anybody have any 4 wheeling experience after doing this mod? Any issues with mud and gunk getting in the air box? Thanks

Does anybody have any 4 wheeling experience after doing this mod? Any issues with mud and gunk getting in the air box? Thanks

Honestly, it's pretty well out of the way. Just don't hit any big puddles and you should be fine.

Keep in mind though, more airflow equals more dust when you're wheeling. You may want to have some compressed air handy to blow out your filter when you need it…

So far so good! All i did was blow out my filter a little drill about 20 1/2 inch holes in the front of the box and 10 in the fender side and my MPG has increased from 13.7 to 17.1 and still slowly rising. As for the sound its alot better than i thought it'd be. If all stays well this is a great mod!

And also took out the silencer.

So far so good! All i did was blow out my filter a little drill about 20 1/2 inch holes in the front of the box and 10 in the fender side and my MPG has increased from 13.7 to 17.1 and still slowly rising. As for the sound its alot better than i thought it'd be. If all stays well this is a great mod!
I hope you're kidding. I bet it's all city driving too. ;)

Seriously but about half and half. If i could figure out how to upload a picture of my dash i would. Haha i wonder how much of a help a drop in k & n would be on top of the improvements.

I'm confused what would be occurring, you should expect more fuel consumption with increased air flow

People hear the sound and assume that there is some auto industry conspiracy to limit their fuel economy or power. They engage in more spirited driving afterwards which results in them thinking there is more power, or if they are conscious of their fuel economy, they start driving more conservatively after trying this mod, since they are trying to save fuel, then incorrectly attribute it to the mod. The intake pipe doesn't flow as much as the factory air box anyway, so this mod doesn't really change a thing when it comes to air flow and fuel consumption. That, and resetting the computer will change the fuel curves and such the computer has learned from driving, which will mean a short term change in fuel efficiency or power.

Oh... so pretty much my "increase" in mpg is slightly do to "conservitive" driving and my computer being off. Please tell my my comp isnt lying to me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh... so pretty much my "increase" in mpg is slightly do to "conservitive" driving and my computer being off. Please tell my my comp isnt lying to me?

It has been shown time and again that after mods to increase fuel economy, people drive more conservatively. Conservative driving, and your ECU resetting to factory parameters can influence your fuel economy. In fact, your driving has a bigger effect on fuel economy than just about any mod you can do generally. Also, it isn't that your computer is off or lying to you, I said your ECU resets, it has to re-learn fuel curves, fuel curves that can be influenced by your driving style.

Although, to be fair, generally speaking, factory fuel economy gauges are a little to WAY off.

Back