3rd Gen Black Housing Headlights/Clear Corners | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen Black Housing Headlights/Clear Corners

tgrfly

Reaction score
City, State
Muncie, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Ford Explorer Limited
Probably a shot in the dark, but doesn't hurt to try. Looking for black housing headlights and the black housing clear corners to match. I know they sell the black housings on eBay, but I'd really like to have the clear corners.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm just scared of doing that. Plus I only have one vehicle to drive and it takes quite a bit to do it. My current headlights already have moisture in them.

I was so scared of doing it too, but it really is very simple. You need to dedicate a day though and start early. The hardest parts are taping it off and waiting for each coat to dry. Everything else is easy!

You say you have mositure in them..what better time to do it then? :)

I was so scared of doing it too, but it really is very simple. You need to dedicate a day though and start early. The hardest parts are taping it off and waiting for each coat to dry. Everything else is easy!

You say you have mositure in them..what better time to do it then? :)

I do agree, but the thing is having a day to dedicate to them. I may go ahead and try it.

Question on the corner lights though, does the amber reflector just pop out like it does on most vehicles?

I haven't done the corners yet, so I'm not sure. It looks like they may just be glued in there.

Well I think the plan is to pull the headlights and paint the housings black and then just buy the black housing clear corners since they are fairly cheap.

If you read in my thread, someone in there said the corners came apart pretty easily.

I would still like the reflector I just want the clear one vs. the amber one. I'm planning on attempting this Sunday bright and early. Went and picked up some self-etching, Krylon gloss black, and then Krylon Fusion clear. Forgot to pick up the RTV sealant so I will have to pick it up tomorrow when I go back to town.

DSCN5089.jpg

I just used my trim and emblem adhesive that I had left over to seal it.

I pulled them at night and put them in the oven, only takes like 10 mins for you to be able to pull it apart with your hands. Let the one cool down and put the other in, and tape them off.

Krylon Fuson only takes 5 to 10 mins to dry if you are doing it in your house or heated garage. Do another coat, dry, than do a few coats of clear.

put glue or sealant on the lens and put the housing together. If you still have the clips you do not need to rubber band them or even wait too long to dry. I put it together, put the clips on and installed the, It is my only vehicle also so I did not want to wait.

As for the corners, the amber DOES NOT come off, I tried for hours with a heat gun and I could not get it to come apart. If you decide to do the corners, use a heat gun or notheing, DO NOT USE THE OVEN!! The covers WILL melt!

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tips Max. I don't think I'm going to do the corners. I like the look of the clear reflector. Plus with them only being about $30, why not? I'm going to take pictures through the process and I'll post them up. Shouldn't be real hard for me. I've been doing stuff like this for the past several years. Headlights already have moisture in them so that is a perfect reason to do them.

Back