• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen Coilovers? Long Travel?

3rdGenExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Modesto, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Explorer XLT
Ive been thinking for a while... why cant our 3rd gens be put on coilovers? :scratch:
like so... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330954.
Seems like we would have even less modification to do...
Are there any problems?
Anyone actually done this?

Maybe fab some new upper and lower arms and find longer axles to make long travel possible?:D

And as far as the rear axles passing through the frame... has anyone ever thought of using frame notches(http://www.yourcustomcar.com/bolt-in-notch-universal.html) like the guys who slam their trucks?

Just throwing this out there seeing if anyone has input...
everybody has been waiting for a lift based off drops like a standard truck lift... but id rather have travel any day!

Any input would make this easier! Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We are working on it. Do a search on the forum for "coilovers" and look for a thread started by rangermidtn.

It won't be "long travel" due to the length of the stock control arms and the limitations of the stock cv joints but we should be able to get about 8.5" of wheel travel out of it. For comparison, the stock front suspension has about 4.3" of wheel travel. Stock rear isn't bad...about 8" so I will probably leave it alone on mine.

I like the idea of the notches for the rear. I may have to try that so I can put coilovers on the rear.

Sweet! if you make something do-able im totally in on trying it out as well!

And yea a friend of mine lowered his 2wd ranger and used similar notches... im just really curious because at full sag even with just a spacer lift my axles contact the frame...

Realistically i think if btf or someone with the correct tools could make extended arms no problem... he already makes slightly extended uppers... but the only issue would be finding compatible axles i guess.

If one person could make the whole thing: arms, axles, and give specs to compatible coilovers, i think a lot of people (including me :D) would buy it up

A full notch might not be needed to prevent the rear axle problem, maybe just some clearancing on the frame hole with a grinder would fix it. Doesn't seem to be an issue with the 4th gens as even with a 1.5" spacer in the rear there is no axle to frame contact. I think it may be that the 4th gens have a bigger hole in the frame.

I'm just looking to get more travel in the front with some mild lift, but you're right, BTF could build a true long travel setup that would be awesome. Pretty much anything is do-able with enough money.

Sweet! if you make something do-able im totally in on trying it out as well!

And yea a friend of mine lowered his 2wd ranger and used similar notches... im just really curious because at full sag even with just a spacer lift my axles contact the frame...

Realistically i think if btf or someone with the correct tools could make extended arms no problem... he already makes slightly extended uppers... but the only issue would be finding compatible axles i guess.

If one person could make the whole thing: arms, axles, and give specs to compatible coilovers, i think a lot of people (including me :D) would buy it up

I think with my next project I'm going to put coilovers in the back. I am going to use the universal notches to give me more axle clearance. I am ghitting my frame everytime I go wheeling and this would help.

8" of from travel? i could go for that.. some quick disconnect sway links and it might actually be a fairly decent set up. I hope this all goes well! Im right here waiting! haha

A full notch might not be needed to prevent the rear axle problem, maybe just some clearancing on the frame hole with a grinder would fix it. Doesn't seem to be an issue with the 4th gens as even with a 1.5" spacer in the rear there is no axle to frame contact. I think it may be that the 4th gens have a bigger hole in the frame.

Im not sure how much grinding would be needed... i have the original RB 2" spacer in the rear and i get full contact when i jack it up to full droop

I think with my next project I'm going to put coilovers in the back. I am going to use the universal notches to give me more axle clearance. I am ghitting my frame everytime I go wheeling and this would help.

You should give them a try and let me know! haha im really interested but its my dd right now and cant go experimenting at the moment.

Mxrider claimed to have built a long travel for his third gen, but his picture links are broken. Try messaging him?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275326

.... im not sure how i feel about the legitimacy of this... i mean you think he would have much more pics and plans considering no one else has ever really done this...

Back