3rd Gen Driving Light Install Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen Driving Light Install Question

After much reading and head scratching:scratch:, I have decided I need some help. I am installing two KC driving lights on my 03 X. I would like hook them to my High Beams, but the instructions say this.

Most 2000 and later vehicles.
If you choose to activate your lights through your headlight system, please contact your car dealer to ensure compatibility with your vehicle. Many vehicles manufactured after 1999 have circuits that are controlled by on board computer systems and may not allow additional electrical accessories to be tied into factory wiring.

Does anyone know if this is true for the 3rd Gen? Is there away to work around this if it is true? Finally the instructions say to attach the wire for the supply of the switch for the relay to the High Beams. Is this the power into the headlight or is it inside the vehicle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So put both the high beams and driving lights on separate relays. Just use your high beam wire to trigger the relays. I think that may be a safe route if your worried about what you asked. I would use the power from the the headlight to trigger the relay. You don't need to get into the truck. Then its all stock. Just trigger your high beams and everything turns on. With that done you can still install a switch that will disable your driving lights if you ever decide to not have then turn on with high beams.

Sounds like a good plan.

Use a separate 30 amp relay for each lighting system.
Use a switch on the dash to have either a auto on, with the high beams, or a manual on, by the switch.
The switch can be a On-On or an On-Off-On, either one will do.
Depending on your local laws, the On-Off-On maybe better because you can turn the lights off completely if needed.

Power the sw from a fused line off of the Circuit Panel or other power source.
Run two fused red wires from the battery positive terminal to the relay and then to the lights.

simple right !!

whats the advantage of using a relay?
I've thought about installing lights and just wiring them directly to the headlights.
Should I not do this?

What’s the advantage of using a relay?

Relays allow you to shorten the path of the higher amperage wiring, allowing more amperage to get to the lights and in turn two things, one the lights will burn brighter, how much brighter is always a question and two, when an electrical component isn't getting the amount to amperage it needs, not voltage but amperage, the component will heat up inside of itself and can cause premature failure, so full amperage will allow the component to have as full of a life as it is rated for.

I've thought about installing lights and just wiring them directly to the headlights.

Most OEM wiring is minimum gauge wire at best and will handle the load it was designed for; but loading additional lights on this wire will overload it and may cause a fire.
It is better to use the existing head light wiring to activate relays and run fused heavy gauge wire (10 gauge, 12 minimum) from the battery to the headlights via the relays.

Should I not do this?

If you are using standard headlights and that is all that is on the circuit then you will probably be OK.
If you want to add additional high amperage lights you will need to add some relays for the new lights, if you want to make your existing head lights run a little brighter or add in some H-4 Bulbs that will be brighter and draw more amperage, then you should add relays to the existing headlight circuit.
One relay for the high beams, one for the low beams and one relay for each pair of additional light you add is the way to go.

Thanks for the responses, I will be working on this during the week. I might be back with some questions later. TruckU or Sandy would it be possible to post a diagram showing what you are stating? I would put more time into now, but the girlfriend is about to show up for the weekend. I will post updates this week.

Thanks for the responses, I will be working on this during the week. I might be back with some questions later. TruckU or Sandy would it be possible to post a diagram showing what you are stating? I would put more time into now, but the girlfriend is about to show up for the weekend. I will post updates this week.

I do not have posting right here on this site but I will look up the schematics I used a basis and e-mail it to you.

Added: Tried to e-mail, no go.
My e-mail address is below send me your and I will send you a basic schematic for auxiliary lighting.

Back