3rd Gen Experts - Body Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen Experts - Body Question

J

jluv

I'm currently in the process of swapping out the textured bumpers and fender flares on my XLS to paint-to-match pieces. I believe I have the bumpers taken care of. Things get complicated with the fender flare moldings though.

My XLS has the fender flares that go all the way to the bottom of the wheel well on the part closest to the door (inside). I don't have any kind of molding across the bottom of the doors of my truck. I also don't have any molding in that space at the bottom between the back of the rear fender and the rear bumper. My front bumper is shaped (flared) on the sides to match up with the front fender flare. My rear bumper is flush on the sides, no flare. It just matches up with the sides of the vehicle.

I have found a place where I can get paint-to-match bumpers just like this. No problem.

But 95% of the Eddie Bauers and Limiteds that I see have a molding across the bottom of the doors. because of this, they also have fender moldings that have a chunk on the inside edges that match up across the bottom with this extra molding. Also, the rear fender molding has a piece that goes across the bottom between the fender and the rear bumper.

However, I have seen a couple of Eddie Bauers that did not have this molding across the bottom. They basically had the exact same fender moldings that I have on my XLS, only they were paint to match, and not textured. I am not having much luck finding pictures of this on the internet, but I have seen them in person. In fact, I saw one earlier today up close. It was a factory Eddie Bauer, not sure which year.

Does anyone here know what I am talking about? If so, do you know where I could find these fender moldings online? Even if you know where to find a picture of this, that would be helpful. I called my usual parts guy at the dealership, and he couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know the 4th Gen Limited and Eddie came with no side cladding, but I can't recall if I have ever seen a 3rd Gen Limited or Eddie with no cladding.

Ford-Explorer-Eddie-Bauer-4WD.jpeg

I know the 4th Gen Limited and Eddie came with no side cladding, but I can't recall if I have ever seen a 3rd Gen Limited or Eddie with no cladding.

Ford-Explorer-Eddie-Bauer-4WD.jpeg

That's close to what I need. That one still has the chunk between the back of the rear flare and the side of the rear bumper, which I don't want.

It looks like it might be different in the front where it meets the bumper, otherwise I bet the rest of the pieces are the same. I may be able to piece it together with some 4th gen parts.

Thanks!

Anyone else?

Okay, the 4th gen parts are totally different. I'm not finding what I want for a 3rd gen anywhere.

I guess I am going to go with the side moldings too. Do these stick on with some kind of adhesive? There aren't any holes around the bottom of my doors now. Anyone know where to buy these besides the dealership? I have looked online without much luck.

Okay, the 4th gen parts are totally different. I'm not finding what I want for a 3rd gen anywhere.

I guess I am going to go with the side moldings too. Do these stick on with some kind of adhesive? There aren't any holes around the bottom of my doors now. Anyone know where to buy these besides the dealership? I have looked online without much luck.

Those are going to be hard to find.
Ive thought about doing this too, but My X doesn't have any flares at all.
So Id be required to drill holes around the wheel wells.

The pieces that go on the doors I believe will require holes. Not stuck on.

Best chance is to find a junk yard where you ban buy all the matching pieces.

Man, I hope the side pieces don't require holes. The fender flares will work okay because I have some on there now.

Man, I hope the side pieces don't require holes. The fender flares will work okay because I have some on there now.

Either way, I think you should be able to cut off the "clips" and use 3M double sided tape. Assuming you had enough flat surface on the moldings to put the tape. That stuff will hold anything on. Keeps window rain deflectors at highway speeds.

Well scratch that idea!!!

Ford's regular pricing on the smooth fender flares and side cladding would be $2200 for everything! I have a hookup, but the best he could do is still well over $1000. That's insane!

I could spend my Saturdays looking for a mineral gray donor, or find any color and have it repainted. I really just don't have the time.

So it looks like I will try to have my existing textured fender flares smoothed and painted. I hope it can be done and have the exact same finish as the rest of my truck, and last.

I can't believe how much Ford charges for that stuff!

Ford's regular pricing on the smooth fender flares and side cladding would be $2200 for everything! I have a hookup, but the best he could do is still well over $1000. That's insane!

I could spend my Saturdays looking for a mineral gray donor, or find any color and have it repainted. I really just don't have the time.

So it looks like I will try to have my existing textured fender flares smoothed and painted. I hope it can be done and have the exact same finish as the rest of my truck, and last.

I know and whats even more insane is the cost of those shiny black panels on the upper doors between the side windows. I read on here somewhere that those 4 pieces are $600.

I lost a factory sunroof out of a 92 mustang I had. The glass alone was $1000. Then you needed the rubber seal, hindges, latch.
I thought I was going to have to pop-rivit on a piece of metal to cover it or something. cause I could never pay that. Found one in a junkyard for $40 :D

Is this it?

Oh, my friend, you are in for a challenge. To have those panels costs exactly what you were quoted... the panel from the XLS fits the XLT, so the XLT paneling should fit XLS - they use the same holes to secure each panel. I think the front wheel/fender has two parts; the front door has one panel, the passenger door has a panel with half a flare that bolts on to the door; the last part of the fender flare is attached to the last part of the panel. Here's a pic of my baby when she was brand new in February 2003... (I cropped it to heck because it wouldn't fit.)

Attachments

• sc00066e65.jpg
    sc00066e65.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 1,145

6 for $600...

I know and whats even more insane is the cost of those shiny black panels on the upper doors between the side windows. I read on here somewhere that those 4 pieces are $600.

I lost a factory sunroof out of a 92 mustang I had. The glass alone was $1000. Then you needed the rubber seal, hindges, latch.
I thought I was going to have to pop-rivit on a piece of metal to cover it or something. cause I could never pay that. Found one in a junkyard for $40 :D

True! I paid all $600, and then later found HERE that they could be resurfaced and painted at home. $600.00 :rolleyes:

I've decided to use the flares I have now and have them smoothed and painted. The body shops I know and trust in my area have all told me that it's a ton of work to smooth the textured pieces to make them look right and last, but that's the look I want, and it's still going to be cheaper than new flares and side moldings.

I may even try to sand/fill/smooth the pieces myself to save money. I've never done body work before, but if it's just a matter of following instructions (if I can find a good write-up on the internet) and elbow grease, I'd actually like to do the prep work myself and then have it painted professionally.

I just bought paint-to match EB/Limited bumpers, door handles, fog lights, and the small piece on the rear hatch. The larger piece on the rear hatch finally cracked on me, so I got a new one and am having the emblem area shaved.

The only piece I am on the hunt for now is the plug to cover the hole after I remove the rear wiper.

Did you try searching eBay?
There are numerous pieces on there.

for example
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WHEE...015QQitemZ250367936512QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Might save you some work?
I searched for
explorer molding (02,03,04,05)
--> copy and paste that whole line in to the search area.
Use the brackets to include any of those terms. in other words the results would contain
- explorer
- molding
- and any of 02 03 04 05

Did you try searching eBay?
There are numerous pieces on there.

for example
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WHEE...015QQitemZ250367936512QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Might save you some work?
I searched for
explorer molding (02,03,04,05)
--> copy and paste that whole line in to the search area.
Use the brackets to include any of those terms. in other words the results would contain
- explorer
- molding
- and any of 02 03 04 05

Those are the pieces that work with the side moldings. I don't want to do the side moldings at all.

Those are the pieces that work with the side moldings. I don't want to do the side moldings at all.

Ah right.. I forgot you said that...

That textured molding is hard as heck to paint... I tried it myself, but they seemed to absorb the paint... even with primer. So I took them to a body shop, and the painter said he could do no better than I had done (which he tried over 4 days to do). I would be careful with sanding because the material used to make these moldings is nowhere near the same as the material used to make the paneling in the picture above...

If you want them glossy, use a couple or three coats of primer first, and then the glossy (coats). I'd do one piece first to see what works best...

After much research, this thread was exactly my goal.
My XLT came with no fender flares, side moldings, etc. I thought it would be simple and cheap to buy these parts new or used. But apparently it's $2200 from Ford! And nobody has them used, ebay has nothing. Discouraging because I really wanted them.

I do body work for a living and i can tell you that any shop that know what they are doing can smooth those flares out no problem. We smoothed all of the textured plastic on a Hummer H2 at work about 4 years ago and it still looks great. If you want to try it yourself find a autobody supply store and buy a "clean and scuff sponge" for prepping raw plastic for paint, Some adhesion promoter for raw plastic, high build primer, and 320 grit sand paper. Use the clean and scuff sponge to scuff the flares. The sponge is saturated in a special plastic cleaner and has a scotch brite pad on one side. Let the parts dry completely. Apply one good coat of adhesion promotor to the flares, once it has flashed about 5 minutes apply 3 or 4 heavy coats of high build primer. Let this dry overnight. Using 320 grit on a soft block or by hand sand the primer untill all of the texture is gone.

Back