3rd gen Explorer Blend Door Actuator Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen Explorer Blend Door Actuator Replacement

Sleb

Reaction score
City, State
MB
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
I have a 2003 explorer, my Blend Door Actuator broke. I have pulled it out and I am about to replace it with the new one. Now I was wondering if I need to have the manual climate control turned to cold or heat, or if I need to hold the blend door open or closed, or if I just put it straight in? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just incase anyone is interested in this post later down the road I replaced the blend door actuator, before I reinstalled it I checked to see what position my blend door was in (it was in the cold position) set the climate control temperature to cold and plugged the actuator in and turned the ignition on. That set the actuator to the correct position and everything works perfectly now and I saved $800.00. By the way I didn't need to pull the whole dash out like I read in some posts, you can get to it with a bit of work. hope this helps somebody.

So you are saying no need to take the radio part out? just the floor console?

first I need to know if you have manual or DATC Climate Control System?

Take the steering column off (3)

Get on your back on the drivers side floor and you will need to take out the 3 screws on the actuator. There hard to get at but it can be done. Pull the power plug out of the actuator and then just wiggle it out. When you reinstall it you will only be able to get 2 screws back in but they hold it just fine.

Thanks a million. I got to get the actuator out, Since it was sunday, dealers closed, i'll continue putting a new actuator in tomorrow, but i was abale to prop the blend door closed, so i am getting hot air now, which all i needd.
Thanks again. Will let you know when i am done.

Thanks for the info, Sleb. This will be handy later on when I get around to replacing my actuator. Mine is stuck blowing out the front vents - shutting them off forces air to the defrost, so I'm okay on the frosty mornings.

hey guys i have the same problem.where is the actuator located?or the blend door so i can close it manually for now to get some heat?thanx guys

Well I replaced the actuator and everything seems to work, But I don't seem to have enough heat coming out. No more clicking. Just not enough heat. The floor seems ok, but when I go to defrost it cools down. Please any help would be helpful.

I thought I did. I'm going to reinstall it. It was a lot easier than I thought. I'll give an update next week. Thanks for the answer so fast.

how long should i expect this project to take?

do i need to take the floor console, the steering column, and the front dash out to do this?

okay well i spent the sunday replacing the actuator, i couldnt beleive i was able to get it out...by looking at it you would think you couldnt get to it.

anyways all i did was take the old one out and put the new one in, i didnt adjust anything or check anything...is it going to blow cold air or warm air...or should it blow hot air just like before it was broke?

I am having the same problem only with a 2004 Explorer. Would the fix be the same or is it in another location?

Any info on replacing the rear blend door?

I'm having the clunking problem too and it is definately the blend door. My question though, is that I remember the 2nd gens had a similar problem, but it was the stub on the blend door itself that would break, not the actuator. Is it the actuator that breaks in the 3rd gens?

I haven't taken this apart yet and wanted to know before I go buy a new actuator.

Bump. I'm sure someone knows the answer to this /\

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This post has been most helpful. I am still working on getting to the actual replacement of the actuator.

Using the center console drawing above I have mostly dis-assembled the center console but cannot figure out how to completely remove it out of the way. I've removed stuff up to step #9. Step #9 has a little "i" for information next to it, but whatever that note is, its cut off of the drawing....

If anyone can advise what the final step (#9) is to remove the console I would be most appreciative.

For now i was able to displace the side kick panels enough to get my hand up under the passenger side and loop a zip tie around the door sensor arm or whatever... so that when the door slams shut to COLD, i can pull on the end of the zip tie and open it back up to HOT. So for now at least i have heat...

as soon as i figure out removal of the console i will proceed to removing the dash panels and remove/replace the blend air actuator.

Back