3rd gen Explorer Coilovers | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen Explorer Coilovers

I like the idea of a bolt on setup for the upper and lower brackets, but it is tempting to go for something simple like what you've done with the lower control arm. I think on mine I could just weld a flat plate with tabs on it to the arm since it has a flat portion right where the OEM strut lower bolts in.

Also, I think I misread the eyelet measurements on Fox's website. The extended eyelet makes the compressed and extended lengths of the shock 1.525" longer, not 2.07". not a huge difference but it just means you might need a slightly longer tab on the upper or lower depending on what extended/compressed lengths you're going for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the idea of a bolt on setup for the upper and lower brackets, but it is tempting to go for something simple like what you've done with the lower control arm. I think on mine I could just weld a flat plate with tabs on it to the arm since it has a flat portion right where the OEM strut lower bolts in.

Also, I think I misread the eyelet measurements on Fox's website. The extended eyelet makes the compressed and extended lengths of the shock 1.525" longer, not 2.07". not a huge difference but it just means you might need a slightly longer tab on the upper or lower depending on what extended/compressed lengths you're going for.

The tabs I got are 1 3/4 to the bolt hole. Also with mine I had to make sure to add the measurement from the original bolt hole, which on mine it is 1 1/2 from the center of the bolt hole to the top of the a arm. So with adding my tabs that is total of 5". My coilovers are 18.75 extended, so I have a total of 23.75. That just about the same as my Strut and spacer. I would have this done sooner, but I do not have garage and sure gets dark quick now. Hopefully I can get some more done this weekend. I am adding gussets on the bottom of the plate I welded in to support it.

I got my tabs for the bottom and the top made up. Just need to put some gussets on the bottom and will be ready to install.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Looks great!!

I was looking at those QA1's online and was curious if the ones you have have these specs:

DS601 Proma Star Single Adjustable Bearing 15 1/4 - 15 3/4 14 12.5-18.75

Or:

DS602 Proma Star Single Adjustable Poly 15 1/4 - 15 3/4 14 12.5-18.75

And you're using a 12" spring right? or 14"?

Looks great!!

I was looking at those QA1's online and was curious if the ones you have have these specs:

DS601 Proma Star Single Adjustable Bearing 15 1/4 - 15 3/4 14 12.5-18.75

Or:

DS602 Proma Star Single Adjustable Poly 15 1/4 - 15 3/4 14 12.5-18.75

And you're using a 12" spring right? or 14"?

DS602, and i'm using a 12" spring.

DS602, and i'm using a 12" spring.

Cool. Looks like you can get away with a lighter spring rate if you use the longer travel shocks.

If you like this setup and the way it rides I might go with either the QA1s you used or the 6.5" travel Fox shocks. The brackets I designed for the 5" are kind of long and I would rather have them be shorter like yours.

Yea I would like to have the Fox shocks, but I think the QA1s don't need as much tuning so that is easier for me as I do this setup. I do know the knob as quite few adjustments you can do with it. I know I am also going to have to get some limiting straps now.

How much clearance do you think you'll have between the CV axle and the spring?

If my measuring wasn't off, should be about 1". Thats why I moved the mounts out wider to give me more clearance. Also I mounting mine just like my pick. With the adjuster down, so I don't have to worry about the spring being by the CV axle.

Also that's why I got used arms, just in case I screwed up.

Also that's why I got used arms, just in case I screwed up.

good call. I was just wondering since I realized that the QA1's mount the other way compared to the Fox's. But like you said the spring will be preloaded so it should be out of the way anyway.

Reckon I'll just stick with my original plan for now and see how it works out.

the Fox are much wider at the bottom,
545369_10152218241825165_157542046_n.jpg

and mount the other way,

391618_10152213832540165_1703269512_n.jpg

Nothing new today. Everythings ready just need time to install.

Im excited to see some actual progress by someone! Cant wait to see how this goes!

Well I was going to do this yesterday, but I got hung up on seperating the lower control arm from the knuckle, so I had to put all together and will try again here soon.

I should have this installed Christmas week, I have been dying to get it installed, but with Christmas coming up just haven't had the time. I'll take plenty of pics when I do this.

Nothing new, will get this installed next week. I installed new greasable ball joints on the lower control arms and that is about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for keeping everyone posted. I know this time of year everyone gets busy. Keep up the good work.

Back