3rd gen Locker? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen Locker?

No worries mate, I'm looking forward to being able to afford a steak again!!!:D:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ARB is an Aussie company aren't they? Why would you be paying import tax or whatever?

The local mob wanted $1300 and they didn't have access to a ford 8.8" unit. I found one on Ebay from Iowa for $995 shipped to my door. Anything imported into Oz over$1000 attracts the duties/taxes. Arse about way of doing thing's I know but I can't find any vehicles down here that run the 8.8!

With all that traction Ronin, I'll be able to hunt my own cows!!

On a side note should I get new bearings, shim's to get installed while the locker get's put in? I've only got 75 k on the X.

I would say new bearings and seals is usually a good idea, cheap insurance. Are you going to setup the gears yourself or have a shop do it? Since an ARB is a full carrier locker you will have to set the pinion depth and backlash and all that stuff i don't understand, lol. Using the same shims will get you close, but not perfect. From what I understand its not a terribly difficult process, just very time consuming, and you need some special tools. At least you can put the diff on a workbench though to do it.

Thank's mate. I'm abit of a mechanical moron, o.k. wouldn't know me shim from me pinion shaft. I'll be taking it to the local arb guy's and getting them to do all the hard yakka (work), I saw a timken set that I thought would be best to fit whilst they are working on it. With parts difficult to find down here, I didn't want the shop ringing me half way through the install saying we need this or that to finish. All that double handling and wasted time and money. I'll pick up some bearing's and seal's just to be sure. Cheer's:chug:

I'm sure I've asked this before but I get forgetful when I'm not drinking, so here goes...
Do I just need to replace the carrier bearing's, races and seal's when getting the locker installed?
And...On ebay I see heap's for jeep's (dana 30) can I use those?

Yeah, that's why I'm back on noodles for dinner for a while:D. The timken set cost a fair bit and I dont think I'll need half of it so I thought I might be able to save a few bob just getting the specific part's for the front. My lift will go on hold for awhile but being locked will get me where I want to be.:D:thumbsup:

Hmm I don't know about buying the front parts piecemeal but I do understand trying to save a few greenbacks. I'd talk to your installer and see....the master kit I bought for my front was specifically for the Ford application but I don't know what exactly was different about it compared to a Jeep application.

The bloke told me to consult the manual that came with it, all I can see in there is replace the carrier bearing's if worn or damaged. I was thinking a couple of thing's a) being the front diff there probably isn't alot of wear as it only kick's in when needed? and b) they still sell jeep's down here so if I can use a heep part, he should be able to source it.

All depend's on how much I want to bet I s'pose. My head say's "Wait and do it properly" whilst my heart say's F*** it! She'll be right mate" I really do have to start listening to my head!!!!:D:thumbsup: Thank's for the help mate.

lynchy I look forward to the updates sounds like you will have one beast 3rd gen down under. That roo bar scares me already.

Thank's mate!!! Quotes on installation are evil as (2x locker's and compressor $1050)
and the YK D30 sup ford kit is $220 + postage. Is that similar to what you had fork out for that kit Ronin? If you got yours cheaper mate, could you point me in the right direction? I think I might just get the front put in and get the rear done later when I can afford the install (should've taken Elessar's advice instead of diving head first into a shallow pool) Too many thing's happening but at least it's there when I need it. I'm sort of glad those BTF uca's wont be out for another 4-6 week's and then there's that f***** camber kit. How long 'til Xmas???:D

Buy once, cry once...that's what I say :D

That there mate, is a philosophy to live by. Cheer's!!!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back