3rd Gen // new wheels that dont fit :/ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen // new wheels that dont fit :/

Note: I have this same thread in 3rd gen forum, figured I might get advice from 3rd gen owners...

So, I got an awesome deal on craigslist for a set of BFG Km2 Mud tires 31" on American Racing Offroad 15" wheels. The tires are brand new!

Well, because i was so excited to see a deal like this, i made an offer and picked up the wheels and tires. I mounted them, and they looked absolutely beastly. Offset on the tires is crazy, and they were sticing out alot, but I kind of liked the rugged look.

So anyways, everything is set to go, and I have to go put air in the tires. So I turn on the car, and put it in D, doesnt move.... I gave it a tiny bit of gas, still doesnt budge. Felt like the hand brake was on (but it wasnt).

The wheels were rubbing with hub assembly. I don't know what the parts are called, but with aboout a 1/4" more clearance, it would work fine. Now, I cant use these wheels because my car wont move.... and it seems my only solution is to get spacers. I would be down to do that, but they stick out A LOT already.

I was wondering what other solutions you guys had in mind. I would really love to make these tires work. Or if you guys can link me to some cheap wheels that will work on a 3rd gen, and that are 15". You would think that I should just get 16" rims, but I really got a good deal for these tires. The km2 muddies sell for $200 each. SO i just want to know if i can get this setup to work, or atleast new rims that WILL fit

Attached is pix of the car with the wheels on. Just to show how much they stick out. They already bulge out alot, and anything more IMO would look akward (cholomobile?). Stupid me didnt take a picture of them from the front/back to show the offset. But honestly, if majority of your guys' opinions says get a spacer, ill probably do it. I keep telling myself that quarter inch or a half inch more offset wont make a difference....

Thanks in advance, and I am sorry for the essay format thread, I just wanted to get as much detail in.
:)

Attachments

• 3k43m33ob5W35P05R6abpfe98c5da0a93154e.jpg
    3k43m33ob5W35P05R6abpfe98c5da0a93154e.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 587
  • 3n23me3p85O45T15R0abpa86cdfa9aef110ba.jpg
    3n23me3p85O45T15R0abpa86cdfa9aef110ba.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 592
  • 3n23pa3lb5W55U45P6abpd73e01cf3de8122b.jpg
    3n23pa3lb5W55U45P6abpd73e01cf3de8122b.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 602
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 707

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the cheapest option would be 1/4" spacers and flares, I just cant believe that with that much offset those tyres rub! Like you already said an extra 1/4" wont make a hell of alot of difference and there wont be much extra pressure on the bearings or studs if you can find hub centric spacers (I dont know if spacers that thin are hub centric?)they would be better, the only reason I mentioned the flares is that down here if the tyres protude past the body work the cops will put you off the road. Again dont know what laws apply in Cali.
P.S Joe, you're truck looks wicked those rims and tyres man

yea the tires dont rub the fenders or trim. The inside of the wheel rubs on the hub assembly (like the rotor caliper area, just not those specific parts. lol sorry :/)

:dunno:If they rub on the hub assembly you might be fubar. Im not sure spacers will help you altho' you could make some out of wood/acrylic what ever you have laying around, just to check before you fork out the coin. I have seen on here before that 15's arent to good on the 3rd gen. regardless of offset.

On the plus side they may be good for 1st or 2nd gen and at least you can get your money back if you sell them so your not out of pocket.

im taking it tomorrow to my local wheel shop to see what they say.. I want them to work, im just really self concsious that they stick out too much. The tires are super aggresive, but i feel without a lift they look akward. Ive asked a few friends and they all say they look good. I guess ill try spacers tomorrow.

Good luck Amigo, hope it all works out.

Thanks man. Lol i read posts on other sites of people shaving the inside of the wheel, but that just seems stupid. I considered it cause i dont want spacers to make tem stick out even more, but idk

lool

Just dont compromise the structural integrity of the wheel and you should be right? I think wheels are made the thickness they are for a reason and personally I wouldnt f*** with them, but thats because my kid's in the car sometimes.

yea we'll see. if i cant get off with 1/4" spacers ill be happy. Im thinking 1/2" will be my max i go if thats what the wheels guys suggest. anything more and this thing will look wierd as hell

Totally agree and I think you can get 1/2" spacers that are hub centric and have their own studs, much safer

btw, to describe the rubbing i found a thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153350

the "inboard bead seat" shown on the top left of the diagram is where the rubbing is. Very minimal, but enough on the front two to prevent my car from moving (i didnt give too much gas cause i didnt want to cause damage)

The only way maybe this would work is maybe a steel wheel, but I doubt it.

you could probably sell them for more then you paid for them, so go the route and make some cash:thumbsup:

Well thats a bummer. I wont find a deal like this.

I still need to tires cause my current ones are almost bald, so Ill probably just mount some muddies on my stock wheels, cause theres no way id be able to afford wheels and tires. Wish i could get more offset :(

I know its not exactly the same, but i have the exact same wheels on my 98 Mountie.. I don't have any clearance problems with mine. You could always sell them to a Jeeper or 2nd GENer lol. And also, from what i understood.. The wheels are the problem and not the tires being to big? And they are rubbing on the Calipers? Is it the front or back Calipers if so?

No, the tires are fine. The problem is the wheels, and the barrel of the wheel rubbing up on the brake assembly. Not the caliper, but part of the hub assembly hardware.

The rubbing is on the two front tires

2 things..

1: I'm guessing your old wheels were 16's, so try these
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/pts/2076231006.html
2. May want to edit what you paid for these out of the first post if you are selling them on another thread here.;)

You sir, are a smart man. I forgot i had the price :p

Yea, its not about finding the tires. I was just ecstatic at finding the wheels and tires together for that price. And how the wheels stuck out a little bit (ok a lot). I want the offest of aftermarket wheels with the tires i get, but i cant achieve that with stock wheels.

I guess I may have to compromise considering I am on a budget. I can get a set of A/Ts @ 265/70/16 mounted installed for around $500. I may get spacers to get the offset.

A bargain is a bargain for great wheels and tyres, even if you ask for more than you paid. I'm sure whoever does buy them will be stoked if they get them for a good price. thats a sweet wheel/tyre combo I reckon. Those 265's you want should fit no worries with out any f*****' around(spacers or trimming). I've got spacers to offset the extra 1" the new tyres gave me in height, larger in front to bring the front track almost equal to the back track which is better for soft beaches(only 2mm difference now), of which there are heaps around where I live. 1" up 4" out keeps me good on the highway.

But you dont have to buy them right now if your on a budget, you can always get some later on!:)

Ok guys, i found a guy that is selling the same rims, but 16x8. he said they came off a chevy. They are 8 lug, but am wondering if they will line up with my 3rd gen 5 lug.

RIMS ARE 16X8

pic is below.

Attachments

• 3m53pa3oe5Y25V05Z0aaqe3ad43960ee5157e.jpg
    3m53pa3oe5Y25V05Z0aaqe3ad43960ee5157e.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 548

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok guys, i found a guy that is selling the same rims, but 16x8. he said they came off a chevy. They are 8 lug, but am wondering if they will line up with my 3rd gen 5 lug.

RIMS ARE 16X8

pic is below.

wont be even close.

Back