3rd gen off road | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen off road

ive just been thinking about the stress it would put on the ball joints on a vehicle that doesnt have a dropped lower control arm sush as in a lift for a 2nd gen where the whole bottom crossmember is lowered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its no diff. than running RB's spacers except you have an un-limited choice of spring rates, and you can valve your coilover to what works best for your application. Also the issue isnt with your lower arm, its with the upper control arm now being to short causing more of an angel on the ball joint. Lowering the control arm down with a crossmember is just a cheap way to gain lift.

you are correct with what i want to do as far as use a king coil but i have not planed out what exactly is going to work

I have a little question...

I have a stock 05 XLT...How deep can it go in water. A little while ago I was in a trail and the water was up to my ankle (About 4 inches...I think)

Whats the general rule of thumb about how deep the (Stock) Explorer can go? I'm a total newb when it comes to this...Thanks!

As a side: Anyone know any good off-road/mudding sites in/around Central PA? Thanks!

DRAIDEN...

i know wharton state park you can go off road...

I have a little question...

I have a stock 05 XLT...How deep can it go in water. A little while ago I was in a trail and the water was up to my ankle (About 4 inches...I think)

Whats the general rule of thumb about how deep the (Stock) Explorer can go? I'm a total newb when it comes to this...Thanks!

As a side: Anyone know any good off-road/mudding sites in/around Central PA? Thanks!

I don't know exactly how deep you can go, but I know that you can easily go as deep as half the height of your tires with no worries. As a general rule on these rigs, the deepest you want to go is no deeper then the base of the doors from what I understand as water will find it's way inside. Also take into consideration the intake hole for the airbox is directly behind the right headlight, so if water is splashing up there, there is a chance of taking water into the air filter.

Thanks for the general rule. I kind of had an idea about the intake. The reason I was afraid to go deeper then half my wheels was because isn't the ABS sensors around in the middle of the wheel assembly?

Also, when I go off-roading or whatever, I am told I should lower the air pressure in all tires (Damn TPMS will go off:P), and turn off the OD.

Stock - I'd go half wheel hieght deep. Lifted, go as deep as you like, but try to keep the bottom of the diffs and transmission out of water or they will suck it in.

or-carp2477n1.jpg

Were those both yours, and if so did you buy that black one from a guy named Aaron or Halfassexplorer?

No they are not mine just sick and are rolln on 35's

Thanks for the general rule. I kind of had an idea about the intake. The reason I was afraid to go deeper then half my wheels was because isn't the ABS sensors around in the middle of the wheel assembly?

Also, when I go off-roading or whatever, I am told I should lower the air pressure in all tires (Damn TPMS will go off:P), and turn off the OD.

the only time I lower my tire pressure when off roading is for sand. usually I don't worry about it. as for how deep you can go last time it flooded I had it about 3/4 up the wheels but I have a body lift.

hit me up we will have to get together some time. im from etown. I can help you get some mods done to your ex. and if you want new tires im selling mine 265/70s. payed 1200 new still like 80-90 percent thread left with road hazzard warranty

macknos

you still go offroad with the baller rims ?????? your a bold man !!

also how big is a 265/70/16 tire ??? 30 or 31 range ??? idk...

86explorer86

how long till you get your lift and tires done ?????

macknos

you still go offroad with the baller rims ?????? your a bold man !!

also how big is a 265/70/16 tire ??? 30 or 31 range ??? idk...

265/75R16 is 31.6", so 265/70R16 is roughly 30.6...just doing the math in my head.

265/75R16 is 31.6", so 265/70R16 is roughly 30.6...just doing the math in my head.

Your math is spot on!

If they are 265/70/17, then they are 31.6"

I completely forgot a lot of explorers come with 16s. I have 17s so mine are 31.6 but when I measured last time I had one off it came out to 32 and 1/4 that was using 2 T squares to get a perfect measuremnt.

I had the 20s off roading a few times nothing serious. just a little playing. winter and spring I have the 17s on for the snow and muddy rain season. farm fields flood like crazy they can be up too the top of the tire sometimes. yeah I got pulled out from that one. a good 2 and half feet of soupy water with no bottom.

dradian hit me up sometime ill show you some good trails. we get a bunch of ppl to go trail riding up at mt. carmel, pa its a blast

I actually just moved from Lancaster to Mount Carmel. Where are the trails at? I went looking around, but I couldn't find any...Maybe I wasn't looking good enough?

Ever try Centralia? Seems like it might be a bit of fun?

Also, any of the trails here to bad for a stock exploder? Thanks! Just reply or send a Pm with some info on this, it seems like it could be alot of fun.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i will have the parts on my truck as soon as i get them from RB he has been real bizzy he says.

he sent me the tracking info yesterday. well see how long now.

as far as the instal should not take more then the day i get them to put them on then get the rims and tires set up . i think 2 weeks ill have this gurl put back .

RB says the shipping is about a weeks wait so i put that in with my total time of waiting to see finished products.

i still have my entire interior gutted out.

post pic's of that project ONCE I GET THIS LIFT ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Back