Photos - 3rd gen pic's | Page 170 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new tail lights guards
IMAG0467.jpg

IMAG0466.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed of this.... :p:
flexin1.jpg

flexin2.jpg

Ashamed that you didn't try to climb a higher part of it? YES :) lol

Be nice! :p: Last time I attempted something like that my check advance trac light came on. And the snow was soft; I didn't want to bury the Explorer until spring. :D

You must have an lsd? Last time I tried doing that on a snowbank I couldn't get the back wheel off the ground...pffffft lol

Still think those rims look 1000 times better than your original stockers

You must have an lsd? Last time I tried doing that on a snowbank I couldn't get the back wheel off the ground...pffffft lol

Still think those rims look 1000 times better than your original stockers

I think its just the off-road emblems on the side that are doing such wonders :D

Its got a "Brake Locking Differential" as part of the AdvanceTrac system. You'll find that 05's can out do 02-04's big time because of the AdvanceTrac.

Its got a "Brake Locking Differential" as part of the AdvanceTrac system. You'll find that 05's can out do 02-04's big time because of the AdvanceTrac.

Don't know much about the Explorer's AdvanceTrac system. What is the difference between that and the regular 4 wheel drive system??

So far I haven't had a problem with my Explorer. Last winter I was driving through snow up past the running boards. My '03 came with LSD's. :D

Don't know much about the Explorer's AdvanceTrac system. What is the difference between that and the regular 4 wheel drive system??

So far I haven't had a problem with my Explorer. Last winter I was driving through snow up past the running boards. My '03 came with LSD's. :D

You're on of the lucky ones with LS diffs. haha
Well there is no difference in the 4wd system if you have advance trac or if you don't. The main difference is, is how the abs and braking system works. Advance Trac monitors wheel speed and all this other stuff to prevent a roll over. It mainly uses the abs so that it keeps all 4 wheels moving at the same speed. In a sense its acting like a locker in the rear and front differentials. As soon as one tire leaves the ground and senses that one (or more) wheel(s) is (are) moving at a different speed it will apply the brakes as needed to keep it moving the same speed as the other tires.

Well there is no difference in the 4wd system if you have advance trac or if you don't. The main difference is, is how the abs and braking system works. Advance Trac monitors wheel speed and all this other stuff to prevent a roll over. It mainly uses the abs so that it keeps all 4 wheels moving at the same speed. In a sense its acting like a locker in the rear and front differentials. As soon as one tire leaves the ground and senses that one (or more) wheel(s) is (are) moving at a different speed it will apply the brakes as needed to keep it moving the same speed as the other tires.

To better clarify, if the passenger front tire was to come off the ground, the brake would be applied to stop it from spinning and transfer power to the drivers side front. Same goes for the rear.

To better clarify, if the passenger front tire was to come off the ground, the brake would be applied to stop it from spinning and transfer power to the drivers side front. Same goes for the rear.

Thanks for turning that into english :D

The advtrac does seem to work quite well from what I've seen on Wills05XLT4x4's truck when we have gone offroading together.

Even so, it does have its limits. When you've got 1 rear wheel in the air, the clutch type LS in the rear still won't lock up as tight as something like a gear driven unit (such as an Eaton TruTrac) or a full locker. If you're trying to climb up something steep and get in that situation, you might still have traction issues unless both of your front wheels have good enough traction to pull you forward. Depending on what you plan on getting into, might not be an issue at all.

The advtrac does seem to work quite well from what I've seen on Wills05XLT4x4's truck when we have gone offroading together.

i think he was surprised when he found out he only had an open diff too given how well his truck preformed at the GWNF run

i think he was surprised when he found out he only had an open diff too given how well his truck preformed at the GWNF run

Yeah I was definitely impressed. The second time we went out there, the open diff showed itself when we were climbing on some boulders for pics. Even a stock limited slip probably would have helped with that since both his front tires had traction.

Is the lsd really that hard to find on 02-05's? I'm still fairly new to Explorers lol

Is the lsd really that hard to find on 02-05's? I'm still fairly new to Explorers lol

Limited slip Explorers are out there, but it seems that open diff explorers are far more common than LS

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. :)

Speaking of which I don't recall ever posting a pic of my Ex here so...

bam. Fairly stock, bigger tires. But more to come :D
IMG_6725.jpg

IMG_6720.jpg

Yes they are...most people do not buy SUV's with the thought of having the best possible differential, transmission, motor, ect. They just buy what on the dealers lot which normally do not have the upgraded differentials because most people don't know what they actually can do for you.

People pay attention to the trim packages, not what's under the truck and most dealers buy the basic one's because they cost less so they are easier to get off the lot...or thats how i see it.

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. :)

IMG_6720.jpg

Lucky, but you got a nasty bit of body work there on the top of the windshield.

And does anyone know of an easily accessible, and nice place to put a set of fog lights that are 8" or so and have a rather large base without tearing up or drilling too many holes, oh and they are aim-able downward not at all upward tho. These lights are off of an old Subaru, THESE

5-12-09_Subaru_Outback_004.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haha yeah, I noticed that when I posted the pic. I guess the swirl editor went crazy on my ex when I wasn't looking.

Back