3rd gen rear brake and sway bar upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen rear brake and sway bar upgrade

SSCUN

Reaction score
City, State
El Monte
Year, Model & Trim Level
1967 C10 w/ 05 exp IRS
Does anyone know where I can find a 3rd gen 02-05 rear brake upgrade or sway bar upgrade? I installed the rear subframe on my 67 pickup and need to upgrade the rear brakes to match the front. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a link to some photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zu72oMoW3v8ts6XR9

It's a 67 GMC C20 that I'm building in my garage. I'm going for that pro-touring look. I took the IFS from a 4th gen Camaro I had laying around, widened it, and welded it to the front of the truck. It's got an all-aluminum 5.3 LS motor, a billet 7875 VSR turbo, and 4L80 that will eventually be going in. The explorer IRS was the perfect match because I wanted an IRS that would handle the power and still have the spring rate and travel to be able haul parts around in the bed. I plan to lift the wheel well a few inches to allow for travel.

Enough about the build. Has anyone done a big brake upgrade for a 3rd gen Explorer? Is it possible to bolt up 4th or 5th gen rotors/calipers? Any information is greatly appreciated.

3rd gen rear you can upgrade to Aviator brake rotors which require the knuckle from an aviator. They use the same caliper but has a 1" larger rotor. The knuckle is needed to space the caliper out the 1/2" to clear the 1" larger rotor. 4th gen is identical to the 3rd gen explorer/mountaineer. FYI 5th gen is an entirely different vehicle.

3rd gen rear you can upgrade to Aviator brake rotors which require the knuckle from an aviator. They use the same caliper but has a 1" larger rotor. The knuckle is needed to space the caliper out the 1/2" to clear the 1" larger rotor. 4th gen is identical to the 3rd gen explorer/mountaineer. FYI 5th gen is an entirely different vehicle.

Interesting. The 4th gen rear IRS uses some of the same parts?

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for--an upgrade using affordable OEM parts.:chug:

Sorry, overlooked "rear" in your title. Also checked Belltech's site and didn't see Gen 3 sway bars. Message them direct?

Back