3rd Gen Rear Seat Question, pics please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen Rear Seat Question, pics please

black91EB

Reaction score
City, State
Millington, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 5spd 4wd
On my '92 I've been tossing around the idea of ditching the 60 side of the 60/40 rear seat and getting another 40 section, bolting it in on the passenger side (a little fab work would be required, but this does not scare me) and building my console so that it extends all the way back to front of the cargo deck. This would gain cupholders and arm rests for the back seat, and allow room for my sub and amp, as well as all kinda storage space. I would build the console to the same height as the folded seats, so when the seats were folded, you would still have the large cargo area.

My question is, I know alot of the 3rd gens came with a 40/20/40 rear seat setup, and was wondering if the 3rd gens had the same type of rear seat mechanism that the 1st and 2nd gens had, because then I could use the rear seats out of a 3rd gen and just leave the 20 part out.

Does anyone know if this would work, and does anyone have any pics of the seat mechanism for the rear seats?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have pics right now but they do fold down and then flip up to gain third row seating... it is different than my grandfathers first gen and I'm pretty sure its different than secondgen also
If fabricating and modifying are a big task then go for it shouldn't be too bad
BTW if the middle seat was gone it would make room for 1 hell of a center console

I don't have pics right now but they do fold down and then flip up to gain third row seating... it is different than my grandfathers first gen and I'm pretty sure its different than secondgen also
If fabricating and modifying are a big task then go for it shouldn't be too bad
BTW if the middle seat was gone it would make room for 1 hell of a center console

yeah, thats what I was thinking that it would be pretty sweet to have all that room. The first and second gen rear seats are identical in function and part layout, I have a set of '98 seats in my 92. I would just take a look at a set of junkyard seats but don't have the time to go look for one due to it being crunch time at school.

There are third gens without the third row tho so in that case the second row doesnt flip up because there is no need to access the cargo area from that location. And from what i saw in the junk yard the set up of that non third row car had similar seat setup at first and second gen trucks, hope this helps

does anyone have any pics of the seat mechanism for the rear seats?

Hey Black,
Are you still wanting pics? I have a 3rd gen as you described. I'd be happy to take some pics of the 2nd/3rd row if you let me know exactly what you need.

Hey Black,
Are you still wanting pics? I have a 3rd gen as you described. I'd be happy to take some pics of the 2nd/3rd row if you let me know exactly what you need.

I will get some pics tomorrow when it's light out and post them up too! :D

Back