3rd Gen Spindles on a 2nd Gen (4x4) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen Spindles on a 2nd Gen (4x4)

Carguy3J

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
North East New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD
Does anybody know if the 3rd gen front spindles can be used on a 2nd gen explorer? (both 4x4) The reason I'm asking is that the later ones are aluminum, whereas the 2nd gens are heavy cast iron. I definitely don't do any off-roading, so strength isn't an issue.
Mainly, is the geometery (overall height/hub location / steering arm location/etc...) and hub mounting the same? I'm pretty sure the ball joint taper is different, but that can be fixed with a tapered reamer or something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nobody has any ideas???
Bump

I took a couple of measurements and there is a small chance that it might work with some work. The upper ball joint bolts into the the spindle, it's not press in. So you would have to find a ball joint that you could press into a moog upper control arm that had threads.

It's 19 3/4" from top to bottom
the tie rod is 6" from the bottom
the hubs bolts are ~3.5" from center of one to center of the next.

I took a couple of measurements and there is a small chance that it might work with some work. The upper ball joint bolts into the the spindle, it's not press in. So you would have to find a ball joint that you could press into a moog upper control arm that had threads.

It's 19 3/4" from top to bottom
the tie rod is 6" from the bottom
the hubs bolts are ~3.5" from center of one to center of the next.

Yeah......not gonna work:(
Stock '99 4dr 4x4 spindle:
Total height 15-1/2"
Tie Rod height from bottom is more like 5", depending on where you measure from, either way, it's different
Bolt circle for hub is 4-1/2"

Oh well. Of course, there is the opition of grafting the whole knuckle assembly from the 3rd gen. But, this would involve sectioning in a piece of 3rd gen frame rail, with the control arm mounts. Prob. not worth it.
I wonder if there is a member on here that has access to casting facilities, and could manufacture 2nd gen spindles, in aluminum?

I did find some interesting info on here today though, about using '02+ Sport Trac spindles/rotors for bigger brakes. Unfortunately, I have brand new rotors for my '99, that I can't return, so I'll have to wait for the next brake job.

If it was a direct swap it might have been worth the weight savings, but there are other cheaper ways to go about losing some weight.

True, but there aren't many options for reducing unsprung weight, which is worth alot more than an equivalent amount off the body. As I was staring at a pic of a 3rd gen spindle, I had an idea. It looks like the "neck" of the spindle (the skinny part at the top) is where most of that extra height is. It wouldn't take much more than somebody who's really good with a tig welder to chop a section out of there and weld it back together (with a "slug" in the center for extra support) Done right, strength shouldn't be compromised. In fact, between the reduced height, and good strong welds, it'd probably be stronger than stock.
Of course, this still leaves the upper ball joint issue. Some fabricated adjustable tubular upper control arms, designed to accept 3rd gen stock replacement upper ball joints would solve that, and add an extra amount of easy camber/caster adjustability. Also,it could be designed to correct camber curve issues caused by lowering.
As for the hub mounting, as long as the cv axle splines and abs sensors are the same, just use the 3rd gen hub (and brakes).
So, basically, a complete 3rd gen knuckle, with brakes, and a custom upper control arm would do it.
Hhhmmmm. It just might work afterall. maybe???

Not really sure about the whole welding cast aluminum thing. Not sure if it really works and if it does; someone who knows how is another story. Ask around and good luck if you decide to try.

The splines are not the same on the 3rd gen cv axle, you would have to make the 2nd gen hub bolt to the 3rd gen knuckle. And welding cast aluminum together? No way, yeah it can be done but it would have to be perfect. And I wouldn't trust my life to something like that. And by then your into this for probably WELL over 1k into it. You can get a lot of horsepower for that much money. What I would do with that much money is buy a pair of sport trac knuckles to get the bigger brakes, and then convert to coil over. Probably save just as much if not more weight, and have a better handling truck in the process.

Alright then, plan "B":

My father has some manufacturing contacts so, if I could get a firm commitment from people for, I'm guessing, about 200 sets (L/R), it might be feasible to have the engineering/prototyping done, and have a set of those '02+ sport trac spindles (for the bigger brakes, but otherwise a direct bolt-in for 2nd gens) cast in the proper aluminum. Just some rough "napkin sketch" numbers come to about $300 a pair, for this to be economically feasible, and it would have to wait for 3-6 months for me to have the upfront money for prototyping/manufacturing setup/etc..

Does anybody think that approx 200 2nd gen owners would be interested at or around this price level? Remember, for most if us, it woould be both bigger brakes, as well as substantial weight savings. I imagine powedercoating could also be an extra option. Perhaps, some form of adjustability could also be built into the spindle, for height, tie rod location (to corrrect bump steer), or just 1 or 2 different fixed heights available, to correct control arm angles depending on whether you rasied or lowered your truck.

What about rangers? Does anybody know if those Sport trac spindles fit rangers too?

Bump.... Chime in if you think this is something you might be interested in

Back