3rd gen sway bar quick disconnects | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen sway bar quick disconnects

Is it holding up well?
Does it hit/rub your spindles at full lock?

Holding up good so far. It does hit the spindle at full lock; I just need to take the grinder to the corner of the bracket to stop that. All "first gen" items need adjustments, I need a day to do it on these.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Selling the U brackets as of tomorrow. I have my eye on something else to buy... They will be $20 + $5.35 shipping via priority mail.

Sold!

have you had any luck with any link extensions. my links are shattered right now and I'm looking for a reliable way to keep that from happening again. Need an extension as well so hopefully this could solve both problems

have you had any luck with any link extensions. my links are shattered right now and I'm looking for a reliable way to keep that from happening again. Need an extension as well so hopefully this could solve both problems

I just ordered some links like the ones Nate showed that are longer than stock.

Once I get them, after powder coating I'll post an update on this thread.

I had one snap off as well recently.

Edit: You can build your own extended ones though if your just looking for something like stock and don't need to use the "quick disconnect" method.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194211

thank you. came upon that thread awhile ago and then lost it forever til now. thank you very much!

I tried the longer hand made sway bar end links. They rubbed the spindle at full lock everytime, esp. off-road. I am using a stock type set from Raybestos and it is high quality stuff. There is no plastic parts like the stock ones, instead it's all steel.
When you make your own, just don't make them too long and I think you'll be fine.

I don't have this set-up anymore; Kyle (Triton) can answer your questions now as he has my brackets.
I decided to ditch it after I decided to get a Wrangler for a more hardcore off roader.

I tried the longer hand made sway bar end links. They rubbed the spindle at full lock everytime, esp. off-road. I am using a stock type set from Raybestos and it is high quality stuff. There is no plastic parts like the stock ones, instead it's all steel.
When you make your own, just don't make them too long and I think you'll be fine.

do your new stock heavy duty ones rub at full lock still?

I don't have this set-up anymore; Kyle (Triton) can answer your questions now as he has my brackets.
I decided to ditch it after I decided to get a Wrangler for a more hardcore off roader.

You keeping the x? If not I want those skid plates! What year wrangler?

Bleh. I used to have a 96 wrangler. Hated it.

quick question for ya skysthelymyt, do your new stock heavy duty ones rub at full lock still?

No. They do not rub at all.
Btw, you can unhook one end link and leave the other attached and it works like you have it completely unhooked.
I bought my end links from RockAuto. If I had to do it again, I would prolly buy the NAPA professional end links because they are about the same quality but I get them right then instead of shipping.

got a quick question for you guys. ya think if I went in the same direction as Nharris with the brackets and different end links it would rub at full lock? Thanks guys

got a quick question for you guys. ya think if I went in the same direction as Nharris with the brackets and different end links it would rub at full lock? Thanks guys

I will have mine on Wednesday so I'll let you know.

Well...I made a huge mistake...screwed up the measurement on the stock end links (dont ask how) so the ones that i bought and had shipped straight to Turdle for powder coating are way too long :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I'm more pissed because they look so good after Turdles work.

might be a little while before I finish this and get the old ones sold and buy shorter ones.

Nate, since your buying a Wrangler soon, maybe you want them since they are for a CJ and might work on whatever you end up getting?

I'll update this thread for sure once I get the right end links.

Triton8273 said:
Well...I made a huge mistake...screwed up the measurement on the stock end links (dont ask how) so the ones that i bought and had shipped straight to Turdle for powder coating are way too long :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Stupid metric system....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Triton8273 said:
I wish...I used the ruler on the paper cutter in my office and the stupid thing starts at 1" no 0 so i measured the stock end links 1" too long. :banghead:

Haha. I carry a lawstick in in my car all the time, maybe you should too...lol

Back