• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen vs 4th gen

beach89

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V8
My 2002 explorer v8 4x4 just got totaled b/c of unseen ice. I'm fine and amazed that the explorer was still drivable after hitting a side rail at 45mph. The only problems I had up until it was totaled at 120k were the wheel bearings and the diff whine. It looks like(from the threads still on the first page) that the wheel bearings in the 4th gen still don't last much over 100k(vs 60k in the 3rd gen). It also looks like in order to get a worry free transmission that I have to get an 08+ with a 60r80, also true? Is that stupid whining differential gone for all the 4th gens, or is that still a problem? Are there any other common problems for 06-08 explorers? I liked my 02 since it towed my 5k lbs boat quite well, but it seems like ford got rid of the limited slip 3.73 for the 4th gens. Has anyone that's owned a 3rd and 4th gen noticed any difference in power/towing? How about any mpg improvement? I'm buying it solely to tow my boat, so it'll never be used for any off roading. It'll just be for towing/daily driving in the city.

I'd like to get another explorer, but I'm also kinda sick of owning a vehicle with multiple known common costly problems. I babied it and changed the engine oil every 3k and the tranny/diff oil every 30k and still was worried about a sudden $3k hit for a new tranny or diff. I'm looking at an 06 4runner v8 also if anyone has experience with them.

Thanks for any help/opinions!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting. I totalled my '03 XLS (with 179K) back in the fall of '08 in a winter situation also. Rounded a corner on a slushy road and there was a huge tree down across the road. I just picked the spot with the most daylight and ducked. Either that, or run off the road down the embankment. Anyway, I digress. Within a week I was in a GEN IV....an '06 XLS with 33K miles on it. I really like it alot. Can't speak to the towing situation, but there are many improvements over the GEN III. I now have 97K miles on it, and the problems have been totally common and manageable. I've read that V-8's are a little harder to come by than the V-6's, but IMO Ford Explorers are a good value, and I like buying American. I didn't really think twice when I bought my recent Explorer, and haven't been disappointed. Even though the prices of used vehicles have risen over the past few years, do a little research and you can probably get a good deal on one. I've owned a GEN II, III, and IV and never had a transmission problem......maybe lucky on that score.

For the transmission, if you're talking about the bump-stop, I had a 2008 and now have a 2010 and they both did it

I can talk about going from a 99 5.0 AWD to 06 V8 EB, and obviously it's like day and night. Cornering, stability, functionality is way better. The only good thing from the old one was that 5.0 was so simple with parts available everywhere.

V6 drivetrain is pretty much carryover from 3rd gen to 4th. But the V8 drivetrain has:
-6-speed instead of 5-speed
-3V-Triton 4.6L vs 2V 4.6L (about 50 more hp and torque)

I assume you are wanting the V8, since that's what you had before. You should notice the difference. Make sure you get the factory towing package. Because of the ultra-low 1st gear in the 6-speed, they didn't have to change the axle gearing for towing. So there is no fuel economy hit in getting the tow package, like there still is (was) in the V6.

Don't count out the Mountaineers. They are much easier to find with V8, AWD, towing package, and options, since the Mercury brand was slightly more upscale targeted. The only downside is that you won't have a low-range transfer case. But like you said, you don't intend to do any rock-climbing. You can still lock the axle together if needed in snow, etc.

i posted this in another thread but it applies here too.

imho if you can swing it, get the 4th Gen i own both '04 Ex and '10Mounty '10 ST all 4.6L.
Big difference between 3rd and 4th gens. Stick with the V8 if you can. The 4th Gen is a much improved version:
Frame is much stiffer (400%) which offers a much better ride
v8 3valve pumps out 292hp/315tq very smooth, highly responsive compared to 230hp.
The v8 gets a 6r60 transmission which seems to be rather bullet proof so far.
V8's and the 6r60 actually run 3.55's axle ratios which helps on mpg a little, but still allow you to tow 7,000lbs.
Quieter interior
Suspension of the 4th gen was updated; They changed the way the rear is bolted to together. Rather than the rear lower being a giant 'A' arm it was changed to a trailing link/multi link; imo it a better way to transfer power to the frame.
Stability control works great and it also allowed them to do away with LSD's.
Turning radius in both 3r and 4th gens are outstanding, I can out turn a ricer.

Reliability so far seems the same, '04 had 3 front wheel bearings, '10 ST at 50k had to replace one of those too. Mounty will probably need on too, shessh you think they would get a handle on those by now. . .Parts/repairs are reasonable.
Hopefully this helps. feel free to ask any questions.

Back