3rd Gen wheels/tires on 2nd Gen (?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen wheels/tires on 2nd Gen (?)

I'm looking to upgrade the 15" wheels on my 2nd gen and found a decent deal on 3rd gen 16"s - as seen in the following pic (i apologize in advance for the crappy editing):

25243untitled1.jpg

Overall size is pretty damn close (235/70R16). These should work no problem, right? Anyone know the offset of this particular rim?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They'll bolt up. But you will most likely have rubbing in the front. They rubbed my sway bar. They're not dished in like 2nd gen wheels. They has more offset. But they'll definetly work.

how much rubbing are we talking about? enough to be detrimental to the tires? to the swaybar? only when fully locked?

Lot of positive offset in the newer wheels. Not only will you have rubbing problems but it will look a bit weird.

Its right around full lock. And they are going to sit inside the wheel well and look a little goofy like hartman said.

They would help.

Todd - I just realized what you meant by "dished in" - I looked at the pic and at my wheel, and i can see that when mounted, they'd be much farther into the wheelwell than my OEM'ers.

No deal - that'd look quite fugly - kinda like oem'ers with fenderflares (no offense anyone ;) )

Spacers would kinda negate the deal as a whole. I'd have to pay the 300 + $150 S&h (or $100 in gas to p/u) plus another $75-120 for spacers, and then have to deal with the additional pressure put on the axles...nevermind.

Thanks for the help, fellas!

They don't look so bad there....hmmmm...much cleaner than my teardrops, too....

Back