• Register Today It's free!

3rd row access

Carleton Wu

Reaction score
City, State
Broadview Heights
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 BMW X1
Anyone know if you can access the 3rd row in between two captain's chairs? A lot of parents are like me and have two child seats. The tilt and slide won't work. My friend who has owned a Ford Flex which has about the same dimensions as the new Explorer says, no, going in between the captains chairs wont work.

Anyone know if you can access the 3rd row in between two captain's chairs? A lot of parents are like me and have two child seats. The tilt and slide won't work. My friend who has owned a Ford Flex which has about the same dimensions as the new Explorer says, no, going in between the captains chairs wont work.

The center console for the 2nd row is standard and can't be deleted. I assume you could unbolt it but would leave exposed metal (no carpet under console).

2020-Ford-Explorer-22-Ford-Explorer-Interior_tdtdsv.jpg

Maybe the 2020 is different from the current gen. It looks like the inboard arm rests are now present and attached to the seat and a big bulky 2nd row console is no longer present. I guess I will have to wait and see. This is the only pic I could find.

This one was designed to allow access to the rear in between the chairs. There is a small console but it is intended to be stepped over.

Back