3rd row electric seat back won't elevate. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd row electric seat back won't elevate.

Thanks

Thanks for the note, I'm waiting on replacing the part also. Let us know how your progress is going. Right now I don't need the seat, but will in coming months.

Richard

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all,

I just tackled the third row power seat issue this weekend. I was having the same issue most have posted. I can press the button to Raise/Lower my driver side third row seat, and the motor runs but the seat doesn't budge.

The part required to fix this problem is 6L2Z-7861383-AA which is the Latch assembly for the rear seat and it is around $245 plus tax. I was told it was this high because the part includes a new motor. You might verify with your local dealership for your specific year/model, but I think most will be the same part.

Because of the cost of the part, I haven't yet replaced the latch assembly, but instead I just cut the spiral rod that drives the seat forwards and back so that I can Raise and Lower the seat manually.

To replace the part you have to disassemble and remove the entire third row. It sounds like a lot, but it wasn't very hard. You'll need some deep sockets, with an extender for a few bolts between the two seats, and I recommend a ratcheting wrench for the one bolt up inside the seat back.

I'm going to check the salvage yard to see if I can get the part for less, so if I get one and install the part, I'll make sure I take some pictures and detail the process a little more.

Is there any chance you took pictures of any of this? I am sure others would find pictures of the process extremely valuable.

Also, is there any possibility that you had some cargo which may have hit the UP button while there was weight on the seat not allowing it to elevate?

Is there any chance you took pictures of any of this? I am sure others would find pictures of the process extremely valuable.

Sorry, I wish I would have had my camera at the time, but unfortunately did not. If I can find the part at the salvage yard I'll make sure to take some pictures this time.

Also, is there any possibility that you had some cargo which may have hit the UP button while there was weight on the seat not allowing it to elevate?

I'm not sure how the part failed, but I would imagine that something along the lines of what you described would have done it. I don't know if the button would need to be pressed, or if the weight alone could have done it.

Sorry, I wish I would have had my camera at the time, but unfortunately did not. If I can find the part at the salvage yard I'll make sure to take some pictures this time.
Great, thanks!

I'm not sure how the part failed, but I would imagine that something along the lines of what you described would have done it. I don't know if the button would need to be pressed, or if the weight alone could have done it.
I would think that could be a possibility if the seat were not put down fully then overloading it in a partially down position may cause the gears to strip. But if it were fully down, Ford must expect people could even walk over it at 200+ pounds and not allow it to strip.

The, unknowingly, partially up may be more likely than cargo pushing the button while shifting during a drive.

This is what happens when you take something, "that ain't broke" and "fix" it. There is no reason to "improve" upon a simple and efficient working design. The more complicated a machine is the more ways there are for it to fail.

Because of the cost of the part, I haven't yet replaced the latch assembly, but instead I just cut the spiral rod that drives the seat forwards and back so that I can Raise and Lower the seat manually.

Genius.

Third row Seat Motor issue

My 2006 Explorer Limited has the same left third row seat stuck in down position. The single back seat might have moved back far enough to restrict the up movement of the the left rear seat. I lowered the back seats and manually assisted the left rear seat motor into the up position. It is now stuck in the 'up' position. By the noise of the motor there is definitely a stripped gear. The motor appears to be easily accessible. I just need to figure the most cost effective fix. So, please continue this thread, I apprieciate the FOMOCO part number, I will start researching the options off that part number. Best of luck to you all in you fixes, please let us know what they are. Dan

2007 Ford Explorer Limited V8 (Third Row Seat Problem)

Wow! My passenger side rear folding seat was stuck in the down position. I removed the electric motor to find that the gears were stripped and the worm shaft was seized (apparently why the gears stripped). I managed to unseize the shaft and raise and lower the seat manually. I tried to get that gear box out and found that there is no apparent easy way. I removed the entire rear seat assembly and removed the entire bracket with the gear housing. I think I will need to replace the entire assembly since it appears to NOT be serviceable.
I now need to find a part number for it...

can anything be greased to extend life of a working unit?

can anything be greased to extend life of a working unit?

Well there is factory grease on the worm shaft and withinn the gear housing. For me greas was not the issue. I am not sure why the gears failed. I am having trouble locating parts options online. I will go to the dealer in the AM and see what turns up on their computer.

if the motor still works, can you take apart assembly and look for part number on the broken gears and shafts and repair, or maybe take parts to a bearing shop to see if they can order stripped out gears?

if the motor still works, can you take apart assembly and look for part number on the broken gears and shafts and repair, or maybe take parts to a bearing shop to see if they can order stripped out gears?

I actually removed the bracket off the seat back. I have the 3rd row assembly completely disassembled. I see no other way to do this repair. The shaft, gears appear to not be serviceable so the assembly will need to be replaced. I am attempting to find my part and part number. On the way to the dealership now.

motor replacement

Lock assembly (which includes motor) part #6L2Z-7861383-AA. Appears to cost at lease +$200.

Any way to convert to manual which will lock seat in up position? Would hate to hurt someone with a quick stop.

Does anyone have any pictures of the assemblies. Those of us without failed units probably won't take it apart but we might be able to offer some advice if we saw what it looked like.

Hi everyone. Just joined the forum.

I'm the new owner of a 2007 Eddie Bauer V8 as of the end of March. When inspecting the vehicle, I noticed that one of the 3rd row seats wouldn't go back up. The dealer will fix the problem.

However, I'm just wondering if there's a position (up or down) that is best to "preserve" the functionality of the seats. This might not matter, but thought I'd check your opinions.

We will rarely use the 3rd row, so they can stay down, if that "helps".

Thanks!

Hi everyone.

I have the same strange "left" side problem, and would be anxious to hear if anyone comes up with a way to convert the seats & locking mechanism to manual as in the XLT version's. (Or finds the part cheaply)

Hello folks, I found this forum and thread by searching for a solution to my third row seating problem. Yes, the motor does run and the rod doesn't move so I too have a broken gear that seems to be unfixable. I see where the cost of the motor assy is in the $200-300 range, but I'm assuming here that the dealer is going to add a bunch to that for installation. I'm looking at a way to remove the seat so I can do this myself, but since it's in the down position, I can't see how to remove the seat. Has anyone here done it, and if so, could you share the procedure you used to get the seat and motor assy out?

Oh yeah, like most people here, I have a 2007 Merc. Mountaineer, and it is the left seat that's not working.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Don (ezdays) Day

I'm guessing no one here has done this before. Well, I checked with a local dealer and got two quotes, the part is $273.33 plus local tax for the part only. I talked to the service dept and got a quote of $683 plus tax for the part and installation. A used parts yard told me that they wouldn't take the assy off the seat since it would render the seat unsellable, so that was the end of that conversation.

Well, I think that sucks, a gear that can't be accessed or replaced, and is prone to fail with no recourse once the vehicle is our of warranty. Now I'm not a cheapskate, but I am a senior citizen on a fixed income so I'm not about to spend $700 on something I used probably a half-dozen times in five years, so I'm giving it a try myself. I found the part of the Net for around $230 including shipping. I spent about an hour getting the seats out. I say "seats", because you can't just take out the left seat, they come out together or not at all. Since I'm a bit past my prime and I figure the seats weigh a good 100 pounds, I'm going to ask one of my sons to help me get the seats out to where we can work on it and change the part out once I get it. I'm not sure how much more it's going to take to get it out, but I can't see it taking but a few more hours... I really hope so...:rolleyes:

I'm guessing no one here has done this before. Well, I checked with a local dealer and got two quotes, the part is $273.33 plus local tax for the part only. I talked to the service dept and got a quote of $683 plus tax for the part and installation. A used parts yard told me that they wouldn't take the assy off the seat since it would render the seat unsellable, so that was the end of that conversation.

Well, I think that sucks, a gear that can't be accessed or replaced, and is prone to fail with no recourse once the vehicle is our of warranty. Now I'm not a cheapskate, but I am a senior citizen on a fixed income so I'm not about to spend $700 on something I used probably a half-dozen times in five years, so I'm giving it a try myself. I found the part of the Net for around $230 including shipping. I spent about an hour getting the seats out. I say "seats", because you can't just take out the left seat, they come out together or not at all. Since I'm a bit past my prime and I figure the seats weigh a good 100 pounds, I'm going to ask one of my sons to help me get the seats out to where we can work on it and change the part out once I get it. I'm not sure how much more it's going to take to get it out, but I can't see it taking but a few more hours... I really hope so...:rolleyes:

Great that you are taking this on yourself. I hope you are taking lots of pictures.

Even though you may purchase a new seat motor, maybe you wouldn't mind attempting to open up the old motor to see if there may in fact be a repairable part after all.

Great that you are taking this on yourself. I hope you are taking lots of pictures.

Even though you may purchase a new seat motor, maybe you wouldn't mind attempting to open up the old motor to see if there may in fact be a repairable part after all.

That would be the best approach, but the motor is fine, it's the gears that are broken. The gears are in a plastic gearbox that you cannot access without taking the assembly out to begin with. And that's just the start. They know what they're doing, take a shoddy design, make sure that the gears break easily, make the assembly so you can't change the motor or gearbox and make it difficult to get to the assembly. All this spells expense for the consumers and guaranteed repair revenue for the dealers.

So far I have the seats loose. The next step appears to be to remove the left seat and back from the bracket, (3 nuts) then take the back trim off (two screws to take off the trim), then see how the assembly bracket is attached to the seat back so it can be removed. After that, we might be able to get the motor assembly loose.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be the best approach, but the motor is fine, it's the gears that are broken. The gears are in a plastic gearbox that you cannot access without taking the assembly out to begin with. And that's just the start. They know what they're doing, take a shoddy design, make sure that the gears break easily, make the assembly so you can't change the motor or gearbox and make it difficult to get to the assembly. All this spells expense for the consumers and guaranteed repair revenue for the dealers.

So far I have the seats loose. The next step appears to be to remove the left seat and back from the bracket, (3 nuts) then take the back trim off (two screws to take off the trim), then see how the assembly bracket is attached to the seat back so it can be removed. After that, we might be able to get the motor assembly loose.

Still would be good to take pictures of the removal and installation process for others.

If you do not want to take apart the old motor/gear assembly, I would be happy to pay shipping from you to me and I'll open it up to see what went wrong.

Back