3rd row seat and heavy cargo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd row seat and heavy cargo

thekorn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
A 2000 no thank you
Well, I was thinking about buying a Flex until I discovered that loading heavy cargo (and/or dogs) in the back tend to break the 3rd row seat mounts. Since one common and repeatitive use of any vehicle that I buy is going to be loading pinball machines in the back (think 31" x 31" x 60", 350 lbs) that's pretty much a deal breaker for me.

So now I have to ask the same question about the '14 Explorer with the third row seats... Have the third row seat mounts on explorers been breaking when people have been loading heavy cargo into the back? I know I can get them repaired but that's not really the point; if the design is weak by design then it's simply not going to be a good vehicle fit for me.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are threads about this same issue here on the boards! So I would say you may experience the same with the Explorer. I hear that there are more robust floor panels that Ford is installing to replace broken ones.

It's the piece that folds down to make the area flat that has been breaking. New builds and dealers have the reinforced "flooring". I don't believe the seat mounts are an issue, at least not recently that I've read.

I just helped someone move pinball machines that they were changing monthly with a vending agreement in their business.

They were not full size classic pinball machines, maybe were approx the same as yours?- 300lbs or so and not as tall or long as the classics.

I would be terrified of loading a 300+lb item in and out of the car -:eek: if it caught any fabric it would rip thru it, it would likely be dragged in an out at least a bit, there goes the rear seal and bumper, break right through the side panels or at least scratch the hell out of them, seat backs omg the seat backs-... :roll:
holy cow sir, I salute you...

i was thinking for my Ikea trips to make a bed and short walls out of doublewall or triplewall cardboard from Uline, held together with heavy duty velcro, to avoid damaging seat backs and interior. Triplewall is so strong its actually hard to use.

It's the piece that folds down to make the area flat that has been breaking. New builds and dealers have the reinforced "flooring". I don't believe the seat mounts are an issue, at least not recently that I've read.

Ah, yeah... after a similar thread on the flex owner's forum, turns out my understanding of the problem was way off. (Hazards of surfing at 4AM!)

The problem isn't the seat mounts but the bridge between the second and third row seats, as you mentioned.

I just helped someone move pinball machines that they were changing monthly with a vending agreement in their business.

They were not full size classic pinball machines, maybe were approx the same as yours?- 300lbs or so and not as tall or long as the classics.

If they're out on route then they're more modern machines that typically weigh in between 200 and 250 lbs. (The old pre-computer ones are the really heavy ones!) The exact dimensions vary based on year, manufacturer, and the exact game being loaded. (...just like cars. :D) 31" square are the boxed dimensions for new games, which are the largest due to the box and the padding material.

I would be terrified of loading a 300+lb item in and out of the car -:eek: if it caught any fabric it would rip thru it, it would likely be dragged in an out at least a bit, there goes the rear seal and bumper, break right through the side panels or at least scratch the hell out of them, seat backs omg the seat backs-... :roll:
holy cow sir, I salute you...

Ha, well... I've been throwing games in/out of my '00 Durango since it was new and it's held up remarkably well. The cabinets are well machined and sanded, so sliding along the entirely carpeted back hasn't been a problem.

Really the problem I encountered was that during the last bit of pulling, the front edge of the game would be bearing half the weight and the carpet would wind up pulling a layer of the plywood off (and the graphics with it)! Once I figured that out I started putting down cardboard to have a slightly slicker surface to slide along and never had that problem again.

I strap the games down with ratcheting straps, so they don't go anywhere while in transit! Been cut off too many times while hauling and heard the game slide a half inch then the straps make that sound like plucking a guitar string. Not really a fan of suddenly wearing a 300lb backpack!

i was thinking for my Ikea trips to make a bed and short walls out of doublewall or triplewall cardboard from Uline, held together with heavy duty velcro, to avoid damaging seat backs and interior. Triplewall is so strong its actually hard to use.

Just from my experience I think you'd be fine with standard cardboard just to provide you with some sort of buffer between the seats and IKargo. Seems like I always have some sort of large shipping box I'd just otherwise be throwing away, so I break them down flat and throw them in the back. By the time they're worn out, I usually have another! :)

You might do right by cutting a piece of 1/2" to 3/4" plywood to make a stronger platform and lay that on the floor.

Pick up a used Chevy avalanche, it seems perfect for what you need.

Back