• Register Today It's free!

3rd row seat not working

Davis Paul

Reaction score
City, State
Kinuso
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009,Ford exploer
My 3rd row seats not working on my 2009 explorer its in the folded down position nd no noises from motor or switch any ideas on how to fix that???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, your motor for the seat is either out, or the gears are stripped. It's an expensive fix. I cut mine loose, separated the motor from the seat frame, and then strategically placed a 4x4 block of wood under the seat bottom in the back to keep the seat up. The bottom drops to the floor when the seat is in the flat position so thew block will keep it up. It's kind of a redneck fix but it does work and doesn't impede the usage of the seat (i have kids and needed the 3rd row frequently). Plus, it's pretty easy to grab out if you need to lay the seats flat to haul something..seatbelts still work, and nothing was compromised. Do NOT cut the motor loose and use the seat without means to hold it up. Might well be a safety concern that way.

With a 4x4 block there's no way the seat can lay flat until you pull it out. It's a snug enough fit and if you cut it to just the right length, it will clear the plastic trim that lays across the floor in that area. I left mine laying there but not fastened down so in order to facilitate removing the block as needed.

Do you happen to have pix of the placement of the 4x4 block? Would like to do this on mine.

Yeah, your motor for the seat is either out, or the gears are stripped. It's an expensive fix. I cut mine loose, separated the motor from the seat frame, and then strategically placed a 4x4 block of wood under the seat bottom in the back to keep the seat up. The bottom drops to the floor when the seat is in the flat position so thew block will keep it up. It's kind of a redneck fix but it does work and doesn't impede the usage of the seat (i have kids and needed the 3rd row frequently). Plus, it's pretty easy to grab out if you need to lay the seats flat to haul something..seatbelts still work, and nothing was compromised. Do NOT cut the motor loose and use the seat without means to hold it up. Might well be a safety concern that way.

With a 4x4 block there's no way the seat can lay flat until you pull it out. It's a snug enough fit and if you cut it to just the right length, it will clear the plastic trim that lays across the floor in that area. I left mine laying there but not fastened down so in order to facilitate removing the block as needed.
Ya the person I just baughtbit off of said it worked before parking it and aoas it just stopped when they fired it back up when they were ready to sell it

My 3rd row seats not working on my 2009 explorer its in the folded down position nd no noises from motor or switch any ideas on how to fix that???
After taking the assembly apart to diagnos, my nephew found it was too expensive to replace both sides.
He was able to rig them by raising and lowering them using a cordless impact or drill attached to a socket to the worm gear.
If you need, let me know, ill try to get pics and specs.

After taking the assembly apart to diagnos, my nephew found it was too expensive to replace both sides.
He was able to rig them by raising and lowering them using a cordless impact or drill attached to a socket to the worm gear.
If you need, let me know, ill try to get pics and specs.
Ok get me pics plz

Back