• Register Today It's free!

3rd row seat repair

jseabolt

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limted V8
So I've been trying to sell my 2006 Explorer for some time now to no avail. Not that I don't like it, it's just my wife does not work and I'm making payments on it and would really like to have one less debt like a black cloud over my head.

One thing that seems to be a "deal breaker" is the fact that one of the third row seats won't go up.

Funny that when I detailed the vehicle, it was working just fine then when someone comes to check it out they start playing with the switches and the seat won't go up. It makes this noise like a gear is slipping.

So I checked out the forum and appears this tends to happen with all Explorers sooner or later. I read that the whole seat assembly has to be replaced. But I found this part on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-thru-10-...rd|Model:Explorer&hash=item27e958bf5e&vxp=mtr

One guy who is/was called me back to say the dealership wanted $800 to fix it. That sounds kind of high to me. I mean, how much trouble can it possibly be? Unbolt the seat assembly, unbolt the seat from the bracket and install the new hinge and motor. Unless the upholstry has to be removed.

Rather than dropping the price down $1000 just because one stupid seat won't go up, I might as well fix it myself.

Can anyone confirm if this is the part that goes bad (instead of having to repace the whole seat assembly)?

Stupid bells and whistles they put on vehicles these days....

The passenger side seat warmer does not work either but I can lie about that one. At least the switch lights up like it still works...

I have replaced the motors on my Explorer on both sides myself. This is definitely one of the easiest DIY jobs: Clean environment (no grease/rust with stuck bolts) with plenty of room to work with. No special tools required other than a deep wall socket to reach the nuts that are between the seats. (On the other hand, I was able to get them out with normal sockets but that barely worked.)

The seat trims have split seam open under the backrest and can be pushed back enough to reach the bolts that secure the latch to the backrest. Should be no issue.

The whole job takes ~2 hours, less if you got the right tools.

Back