3rd Row Seating: only one seat is working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Row Seating: only one seat is working

Hawk312

Reaction score
City, State
York, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I have a 2011 Limited where only the drivers side 3rd row seat is working when you press the buttons to stow. The passenger side is stuck in the "down" position and will not even try to go into the normal or stow positions. I hear no clicking or motors running when I press the buttons. I have looked under the seat, as best I could, to make sure nothing was stuck under there. I have also tried switching to "both" to adjust both passenger and drivers seats at the same time. Nothing seems to help. It just did this suddenly.
Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At the very least you are going to have to get to the electrical connector on the seat to test it for voltage as you operate the switches.

It could be a switch problem, wiring, or the motor.

Did you recently have any issue with anything getting caught when the seats were folding? I had that happen once and a latch pin popped out of place under the seat.
Are you able to move it manually? Could be a power issue as JAPeterson alluded to.

Peter

Thanks guys! I am not able to get the seat to budge, either the bottom part that is latched to the floor, nor the top part that folds up (the seat back). I have to admit I got a little frustrated and tried a crow bar for a minute. :banghead::banghead: I did recently have an issue where it wouldnt stow. I forgot how I got it working again, but I believe that time there was something under the seat preventing it from stowing all the way.
Where is this electrical connector you speak of?
Thanks!

I don't have power folding seats but to find the connection point look at the one that is working or listen to see if you can hear where the motor is located at. The nonworking one should be in the same place or a mirror image of it

Bumping this back up, as I have the seat apart today. I see the gears/hear housing for the bottom motor that appears to operate the seat back (not the bottom part of the seat) are broken. However, nothing is preventing that motor from spinning. Also, not hearing anything unlatching on the seat bottom, which is what I am really trying to get to move. I have unplugged the wires that are under the seat and plugged them back in. I have also unplugged and plugged back in the motor that brings the seat back up.
Is there a way to manually override the seat latch on the bottom part of the seat, or to raise the seat back to have the seat in "normal" position?

Back