• Register Today It's free!

3rd seat X's VS non-3rd seat X's?

blitzk

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
Other than the actual seat itself, what is the diff between the rear area?

I don't have the 3rd seat and have that little cubby hole thing, does everyone have that or just the non-3rd seaters?

Pics of a with 3rd seat Explorer would be cool.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some notes:

The floor of the vehicle back there is totally different. The second row seats fold and tip forward for 3rd row passenger access and thats where you can see that the floor extends back to where the 3rd row riders would put their feet. This creates a cool concealed storage area when the 3rd row is folded down.

A disadvantage is that when the 3rd row is folded the cargo floor is higher than without it. It also slants up a bit. This reduces the cargo carrying ability some.

With the 3rd row seat the vehicle only has the rear most in-floor storage compartment. And there is no cubby-hole.

I have the 3rd row seating with "cubby hole". I believe the "cubby hole is related to rear A/C. X's with the rear A/C option do not have the additional storage, as the compressor is stored there.

TsaktuO

i am about to buy an '04 EB w/3rd row and no rear air - is this the combo you have, and i should have this 'cubby' hole that you are describing? is it a mistake to get a truck without the rear air? i will only have passengers in 3rd row a few times a year for quick trips.

Here is a picture if your not sure what it looks like. This is a random pick I found on the web, as I don't have any of my cargo area at the moment. This picture is actually of a non 3rd row seat X, but the "cubby hole" being discussed is the same. On the left hand side you can see a pocket with netting. Below that is a lid with a small under floor storage pocket. These would not be there on an X with the rear air option. The rear air option has vents in the headliner for both 2nd and 3rd row passengers. Without the rear air option, 2nd row passengers only have the vents off the back of the center console/armrest. If I had found the specific X I was looking for with rear air, I would have gotten it. But for me it was not a "deal breaker". It would seem to be a nice feature to have, even for just 2nd row passengers.

Explorer.jpg

TsaktuO

Here is one with 3rd row and rear air....

Explorer2.jpg

But yes, I have an EB with 3rd row and no rear air. So you would have the pockets like the first pic shows. Good luck and good choice!:)

TsaktuO

Here is one with 3rd row and rear air....

<pic link removed>

But yes, I have an EB with 3rd row and no rear air. So you would have the pockets like the first pic shows. Good luck and good choice!:)

TsaktuO

Thanks for the pic! When you get some time, can you take a couple of pics of the floor (under the hatch) where the 3rd seat goes...

Thanks for the pic! When you get some time, can you take a couple of pics of the floor (under the hatch) where the 3rd seat goes...

Well, there is nothing under the 3rd row. The seat bottom replaces your 2nd storage compartment (closest to the 2nd row seats.) So instead of having 2 storage compartments you only have 1 with the 3rd row seat. Check this pic out.

explorer3.jpg

The floor mats in the other pic block the view, but here you can see only one pull handle for in floor storage. This would be the same as yours, only a little smaller in size. With the factory jack in place, I only had enough room to stuff some heavy gauge jumper cables in there.

Here is a pic from the front..

explorer4.jpg

The seat bottom does not move. The seat back folds down on top of it.

Hopefully That was what you were looking for. If not, I'll take some pics of my actual X. These are all pics I found on the web, since I'm at work with nothing to do;)

TsaktuO

Thanks man. Yeah, the pic I really need is I guess the 3rd row foot room.

I want to see how much lower it is. I'm in no rush so take your time.

The cubby is the where the factory subwoofer goes in an Audiophile system. My 05 has the cubby and 3rd row.

Here are a few pics of mine. To give you an idea of leg room, my son is 2 years old:)

100_0465.jpg

100_0464.jpg

100_0470.jpg

100_0469.jpg

Here is the "cubby hole" area.
100_0471.jpg

And inside the the covered pocket, which is big enough to hold my tow strap, and not much else.
100_0472.jpg

The 3rd row seat gave me the perfect amount of space for my 2 ancient Kicker 12's.
100_0488.jpg

By the way, the factory sub and amp for the audiophile system is in the passenger side, and not the cubby hole side. Unless they changed it in 05' that is. I removed mine and mounted my amp under there. Please excuse the filth of the X. The boy keeps pretty tight watch on my freetime:salute:
(sorry to the 56k'ers)

TsaktuO

Where did you get that subwoofer box? I can't seem to find one that'll fit in the back of my car without folding the 3rd row seat. Your reply would be greatly appreciated.

The subwoofer enclosure is most likely custom built. Go to your local car audio shop, they should be able to build you one for around $100-$200.

I don't have the 3rd seat and have that little cubby hole thing, does everyone have that or just the non-3rd seaters?

that cubby hole has to do with rear ac or no rear ac, vehicles with rear ac do not have it, with out rear ac you have a cubby hole.

Alright thanks! I guess I'll go look around my city then.

I have the 3rd row seating with "cubby hole". I believe the "cubby hole is related to rear A/C. X's with the rear A/C option do not have the additional storage, as the compressor is stored there.

TsaktuO

there's NO compressor back there.

Back